two way cb or dedicated scanner?? im confused..

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

elarbee

two way cb or dedicated scanner?? im confused..

Post by elarbee »

hi everyone

i want to put a uhf radio in my car for shits and giggles :D it'll be my first step into radio stuff and i could use some opinions/advice.

i mostly drive around the city and down south in metro areas and thought a scanner would be of the most use but after doing some reading on http://scanaustralia.com.au/ i think i might have some fun with a two way cb.

so the question i'm stuck with is should i get a dedicated scanner like the uniden UBCT8 or a combo scanner/cb like the uniden UH015SX?

by getting the combo, what features am i missing out on compared to a dedicated scanner?

in your experience which is going to be more fun/useful for a recreational user in a car?

oh i should add, i want to listen to emergency services, truckies, cabies, other amateur cb users if makes any difference

thanks in advance

:?: liam :?:
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: two way cb or dedicated scanner?? im confused..

Post by vk6hgr »

elarbee wrote: by getting the combo, what features am i missing out on compared to a dedicated scanner?
Hi Elarbee.

A combo UHF CB/scanner is going to be limited in the frequencies it's able to receive, compared to a dedicated scanner. Even a cheap scanner can pick up just about everything but UHF CBs with extra receive capability probably covers 450-480Mhz or so, which is just good for listening to the police until they go to digital.
in your experience which is going to be more fun/useful for a recreational user in a car?
If you budget goes that far I'd get a scanner as well as a UHF CB. Something like the Uniden UBCT8 scanner which fits in a car DIN slot.

I don't spent much time on UHF CB these days, mostly I'm on amateur radio but I still have some good conversations every now and again on CB and it's very handy to have when driving somewhere with other people :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

ive got an icom ic400 pro goin into my car soon 40 channel uhf and 88 additional channels for monitoring 450mhz to 500mhz if need anymore info private message me
elarbee

Post by elarbee »

thanks for the replies so far.. much appreciated :)
Pty

Post by Pty »

I've owned an 013/015 Uniden. It receives from 400 mhz to 512 mhz. It's a pretty nice small radio that works well.

I currently own a few Icom 400 pros and the receive quality is excellent.
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

Just a quick note,
I wouldnt recommend annoying people on any radio frequency.

Make sure if you go annoying people you do not get caught, otherwise you may find some big consequences :!:
elarbee

Post by elarbee »

scanvictoria wrote:Just a quick note,
I wouldnt recommend annoying people on any radio frequency.

Make sure if you go annoying people you do not get caught, otherwise you may find some big consequences :!:
i didn't mean to imply that i would be annoying or harrasing anyone. by fun i meant talking to other people.
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

Ok sorry :wink:

Just thought you were reffering to the topic they had going for a while about harrassing commercial users and branding it "FUN"
Brett

Post by Brett »

I've just bought the UH015SX and pretty happy with it. Being a cheap UHF / Scanner and really I'm only keen on listening to Police channels.

I use the UHF side of things more often than not when I go off roading so if it's just for mucking around and you don't want to stretch the budget, go grab one.

I'm still getting used to mine so i can tell you what it's really like in a couple of days.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I have had a UBC760XLT in my car for about 3 years, its installed under my CD player and it fits and looks perfect.

It has a wide range of features and pics up most of the frequencies you would want to listen to.

I use a CB at work to pull up trucks when I need to and personally would'nt waste my time or money, some of the idiots you get on there talking about crap......just not worth it.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra