Please recommend me an antenna

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

XaDvAnT

Please recommend me an antenna

Post by XaDvAnT »

I have a Uniden UBC73XLT scanner however the standard antenna doesn't pick up much in my area.

Can someone please recommend me an antenna that will achieve better reception for the 400-500MHz range?

Must be an indoor antenna as I live in a rental property.

Thanks in advance!
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Please recommend me an antenna

Post by Blinky »

Try connecting to your TV antenna with a small jumper cable with appropriate connectors. I would not use with the TV connected.

Otherwise any scanner antenna you can buy that would be able to find a place to put it. IMHO any indoor antenna you are going to suffer from lower signals than an outside antenna.

I cannot recommend this as I have never used it or anything like it but it seems like it would probably suit your needs.
http://tinyurl.com/3ll7an9

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
XaDvAnT

Post by XaDvAnT »

My TV antenna sounds like a good idea! What adapter/connectors would I need? Total noob :)
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Well TV's usually have PAL connectors http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?a ... &id=P0226A and presumably the scanner has a BNC
( http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?a ... m&id=P0514 ). So a PAL connector a bit of coax and a BNC plug would probably work. You should be able to get them from Jaycar or Altronics. I won't suggest Tricky Dickies although you might find them there but nowadays I steer clear of them so I don't know.

You can't buy a ready made cable, that I am aware of, as it is a non standard setup so one will have to be made.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
XaDvAnT

Post by XaDvAnT »

Thanks for the advice, I will check out my local Dick Smith's after I recover from the flu!
Comint

Post by Comint »

Blinky wrote:So a PAL connector a bit of coax and a BNC plug would probably work.

You can't buy a ready made cable, that I am aware of, as it is a non standard setup so one will have to be made.
You use to be able to purchase BNC to PAL adapters, although I don't see any in Trickies or Jaycar's Catalogues. If you can get one of those, you could just purchase a made-up BNC to BNC lead to use with it (Jaycar Cat No.WV-7300).

Alternatively, you could purchase a Jaycar 1.5 metre "RCA Plug to BNC Plug" cable (Cat No. WV-7308), and a "PAL Plug to RCA Socket" adapter (Cat No. PA-3675). This will give you the BNC connection on one end of the cable, and the PAL connection, via the adapter, on the other end.

Or

A Jaycar 1.5 metre "RCA Plug to TV Coaxial Plug" cable (Cat No. WV-7312). and a "BNC Plug to RCA Socket" adapter (Cat No.PA-3652). That will give you the PAL connection on one end of the cable, and the BNC connection, via the adapter, on the other end.

Obviously, Altronics, Dick Smiths, and others have similar products.

--
Comint
offroada99

Post by offroada99 »

i (extremely) recommend the antenna i have. Mobile One SCBASE Dipole. it has like 70-80% off at DSE, can be mounted anywhere, good frequency range, low EMR (electro-magnetic radiation) and has a BNC connection. Also, it has 3.5m of coax.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Blinky wrote:Try connecting to your TV antenna with a small jumper cable with appropriate connectors. I would not use with the TV connected.
I've played around with using the TV antenna for scanning.

You obviously are limited to receiving stations coming from the same general area that the antenna is pointing towards (as TV antennas are directional) but they do work on many scanning bands where signals are reasonably strong.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
XaDvAnT

Post by XaDvAnT »

Belated update:

The BCA to RCA plug worked great and only cost me a few dollars. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!