programin a IC-R5

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

JG-103

programin a IC-R5

Post by JG-103 »

Can someone please tell me how to enter and pick up police freqeuncies on a IC-R5, iv tried but it is alot different to my trusty UBC57xlt where all u do is punch in the numbers. Any help will be much appreciated
Pty

Post by Pty »

You're gonna need to read the manual and take a lot of time playing with it. It's the kinda scanner you need to know how to use. Do you have a manual?

I have found using the pc software MUCH easier than programming 1250 channels :)
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

Normally i would help, however seems your new to using it then i'll let you have a fiddle around with it, its the best way to learn!
Pty wrote:I have found using the pc software MUCH easier than programming 1250 channels :)
I couldnt picture needing 1250 channels in any town/area.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

It wasnt mine, it was for a worker at RPH, i couldnt understand the thing, ill take my 57xlt over that anyday
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

57 xlt for the win
Pty

Post by Pty »

scanvictoria wrote:Normally i would help, however seems your new to using it then i'll let you have a fiddle around with it, its the best way to learn!
Pty wrote:I have found using the pc software MUCH easier than programming 1250 channels :)
I couldnt picture needing 1250 channels in any town/area.
It's actually a 1000 channel scanner, with 200 'autowrite' and 50 'scan edge' (upper and lower limit searches). And yes, without the manual it can get confusing as with most Icom stuff :)

In mine, i've got=

Bank 1 - 64 Police
Bank 2 - 13 Fire
Bank 3 - 15 Ambulance
Bank 4 - 15 SES
Bank 5 - 40 UHF CB & 40 27mhz CB
Bank 6 - 70+ Marine UHF CB and VHF comms
Bank 7 - 5 Security companies
Bank 8 - 10 Traffic/ repair/ towy
Bank 9 - 20 Aircraft
Bank 10 - 30 RAAF freq
Bank 11 - 10 FM broadcast stations
Bank 12 - 5 AM broadcast stations
Bank 13 - 6 Television station audio

so that's 343 i've used and i have another 657 to fill... HOLY CRAP! :shock:

But i've got to admit after owning it for about a month now i can quickly recall any channel or freq easily. Plus i can gain access to the menu and setup functions easily too.
Last edited by Pty on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pty

Post by Pty »

JG-103 wrote:It wasnt mine, it was for a worker at RPH, i couldnt understand the thing, ill take my 57xlt over that anyday
ok, here's goes....

There's two main modes 1) VFO Band search mode 2) Memory Channel search mode. Basically when in VFO mode and you turn the dial, you move up and down the frequency spectrum. On the other hand if you're in Memory mode and you turn the dial, you move through the memory channels. EASY!

To enter a frequency into a channel you need to push the V/M button (far right) to get into VFO mode (if you're in memory mode). Then press the Band button (on left) to select the band and/or rotate the dial to select the frequency within the band. (tip! by holding the func button (on the left side) while turning dial increases the speed to get to a freq faster).

Once you've selected the frequency, push the V/M button again but hold for 1 sec to enter MEMORY WRITE mode. Rotate dial to select the channel number to store into. Push V/M again for 1 second to save the freq into the selected channel and THAT's IT!!! WOO HOO !!!
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

thanks pty :D
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

We run one of these - I really dont like it. Its expensive and very hard to operate especially if you press a wrong button. I dont get why they are so popular? The West Australian has a couple - we lost one and bought another. Someone tell me why!?
Pty

Post by Pty »

I bought it because

1) for a wideband scanner it's cheap
2) it's small & great battery life
3) it's got tone decoding
4) has a signal meter
5) it's made by icom
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Reason i bought a UBC57xlt
1. $150 (year and a bit ago)
2. Really really simple to use (pretty much anybody can use it)
3. Nothing difficult
4. Everything is made easy for u!!!!
Pty

Post by Pty »

JG-103 wrote:Reason i bought a UBC57xlt
1. $150 (year and a bit ago)
2. Really really simple to use (pretty much anybody can use it)
3. Nothing difficult
4. Everything is made easy for u!!!!
That's fair enough, but i've had uniden scanners for well over 10 years and true, a Uniden should be bought when new to the hobby to get your bearings but after a while you tend to yearn for something a bit extra. I should have mentioned that i only paid $200 for my R5 new (gotta know the right people) and i think it's very easy to use because all my transceivers are also Icom and they have the same sort of menu systems so i'm used to it. Plus i already had programming gear for it because my Icom handheld transceiver uses the same cable 8)

BTW, i also have a 57XLT sitting on my desktop :P :wink: