Mobile Phone Radio

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Mobile Phone Radio

Post by Turbo »

Does anyone know if it possible to extend the frequency range on a digital radio - like on a mobile phone.

I believe it goes as low as 88mhz and would like to push it down to 78mhz to pick up FESA.

Any help is appreciated.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Mobile Phone Radio

Post by vk6hgr »

Turbo wrote:Does anyone know if it possible to extend the frequency range on a digital radio - like on a mobile phone.

I believe it goes as low as 88mhz and would like to push it down to 78mhz to pick up FESA.
What sort of radio are you trying to mod?

If it's a normal FM (88-108Mhz) radio then even if you could get it 10Mhz lower you'll have the problem of it being designed for wide-band FM signals transmitted at high power - i.e. radio stations but FESA use a very narrow bandwidth and much, much less power.

It would probably be a lot of mucking around not worth it considering FESA are moving away from VHF low band in the near future.

If you want to try anyway get your hands on a FM radio from an 80s Japanese car, since their FM broadcast band is lower than ours and it will probably be able to pick up FESA.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Jap import radios do pick up Fesa as they start at 76 MHz. However they have no mute and as they are wideband are VERY noisey when there is no signal .When a signal appears the noise stops but you have to turn up volume to hear , then when signals stop the white noise is deafening. The other problem is that the steps (50k) of a digital car radio bypasses some frquencies.If you were to use an import to receive try an analoge radio as it is continuosly variable.
This brings back memories of how it use to be in the old days of Police being on Vhf Low band.We used to mod car radios sharpen if strips ,detectors and fit white noise mutes.
Couldn't go out and buy a scanner then all had to be built or modified which made it all the more interesting.
Now i am showing my age it is time to go. HiHi
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Cheers for the info guys!