Uniden UBCD396T - and trunking

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

yorky

Uniden UBCD396T - and trunking

Post by yorky »

Howdy all,

I have a 2nd hand UBCD396T on the way and want to get the goss on it.

I'm looking at the programming program at the moment, I take it in the data base tab, does the scanner select just the one system data base set? If I edit/create a data base, do you then setup the tabs/groups say one for FESA, one for PTA etc?

Also I'm looking into trunking, is anyone able to tell me what to set in for things like the truck that Stirling Security are on? http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t= ... unk#p83009 and their ACMA registration http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/clien ... _NO=480999

I have the frequencies but I'm not sure how to set the control channel etc etc?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
richard omeara

Re: Uniden UBCD396T - and trunking

Post by richard omeara »

396t doesnt support MPT trunking that stirling sec are on.I think you can download unitrunker to your computer and do it like that but i didnt have much luck.I setup a custom scan group from 415.000 to 417.000 with no delay.Works OK.Ive set up about 40 groups fesa,wapol,marine,air so yes you just setup a new system for each.With the motorola trunking you just setup a new system select motorola type 1 or 2 and put in the central park trunking freqs.Do a scan and it will find the TGIDs and you save them.
Last edited by richard omeara on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Wow that's a kick in the teeth :( I do the same, I have the frequencies from that other thread set to scan on the normal scanner, but of course you get the other talk groups on it as well.

#-o
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

One of the other guys on here knows how to set it up with the unitrunk download.I did have it going but moving my scanner and computer around was a pain.Cables every were.Youve also got P-25 also that can get a very limited SJA,Airport fire tenders.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Is this still the software? http://www.linato.net/trunkview/

And can the scanner be setup to track via the software? I believe from reading the other threads the sound output goes to the line input on the PC, and the data cable is used to control it?

Also in those threads are these, anyone know if they are still current?
CITY OF JOONDALAUP
==================
865.6875 City of Joondalup
866.6875 City of Joondalup
867.6875 City of Joondalup
868.6875 City of Joondalup
869.6875 City of Joondalup

CITY OF WANNEROO
================
865.4375 City of Wanneroo
866.4375 City of Wanneroo
867.4375 City of Wanneroo
868.4375 City of Wanneroo
869.4375 City of Wanneroo

A few talk group ID's for the site in Wanneroo are:
5296 - Wanneroo Fire Service
3280 - Wanneroo Ranger Services
1680 - Joondalup Rangers
1712 - Joondalup Security Patrols

City of Joondalup - Motorola Type II Plan 1
City of Wanneroo - Motorola Type II Plan 1
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Yep thats it trunkview.There is a list on page 2 of general scanning section(central park trunking).I might give trunk view another go.
Comint

Post by Comint »

richard omeara wrote:Yep thats it trunkview.There is a list on page 2 of general scanning section(central park trunking).I might give trunk view another go.
That is a VERY confusing post.

TrunkView is ONLY for decoding the MPT1327 Trunked Radio protocol, and the 800 MHz frequencies listed above are Motorola Smartnet which can be natively handled by the UBCD396T.

UniTrunker can also be used to decode MPT1327 (as well as Motorola, EDACS, and LTR), however, I believe UniTrunker is more for the 'techno-geek' or person who already has a very good understanding of how Trunk Radio systems work. If you want to decode Motorola Smartnet, without a Trunk Tracking scanner, I suggest you try TRUNK88

--
Comint
yorky

Post by yorky »

Thanks for you input. The 800Mhz Motorola trunks are not what I wanted a program to track, I realise the scanner can handle them.

What we are trying to figure out is handling the 415.000 to 417.000 trunk from my first post, and if the single radio and this program is enough.
Comint

Post by Comint »

yorky wrote:Thanks for you input. The 800Mhz Motorola trunks are not what I wanted a program to track, I realise the scanner can handle them.

What we are trying to figure out is handling the 415.000 to 417.000 trunk from my first post, and if the single radio and this program is enough.
The UBCD396T is listed as one of the scanners supported by TrunkView, and the normal mode of operation with TrunkView is with a single scanner.

My records show the QV1 Site to be Biscom WA with a Base Frequency of 415.5625 MHz, and a Step of 12.5 kHz. SysID is 0049. CC 415.9250 MHz, though this may have changed.

The following 'How-to' pages may be of some help.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.ling/ ... nkview.htm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.ling/ ... und_xp.htm

I should point out that I have only ever used TrunkView with an IC-R10, a PCR-100, and a UBCT9.

--
Comint
yorky

Post by yorky »

Thanks, those two links don't work though :(

The site from my link seems to start at 415.625 MHz, does that sound correct? http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t= ... unk#p83009
Comint

Post by Comint »

yorky wrote:Thanks, those two links don't work though :(
Hmmm. All of Tony's webpages are gone. They were still there late last year.

The site from my link seems to start at 415.625 MHz, does that sound correct? http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t= ... unk#p83009
Yes - Channel 5. That is the lowest frequency on that Site, but you don't have to worry about entering individual frequencies. That is the reason for entering a Base frequency - to give TrunkView a starting point for calculating the rest of the channels/frequencies. The Trunking System Controller (TSC) only transmits Channel Numbers, and it is up to the Radios, or in the case of Scanner Users, software such as TrunkView or UniTrunker, to know what frequency is associated with a particular channel.

--
Comint
yorky

Post by yorky »

Fair enough, much appreciate this info as I'm sure others will as well as we dive into different avenues of scanning.

I'm just trying to put together in my head how it will work, obviously the the audio output plugged into the PC, that means when the scanner is directed to the active talk channel the audio is going to come out of the PC as well. No biggie I guess you can't get around that.

I take it when its on the control channel plugged into the PC, do you get to hear the wonderful data noise still or does it mute that out?
Comint

Post by Comint »

yorky wrote:I'm just trying to put together in my head how it will work, obviously the the audio output plugged into the PC, that means when the scanner is directed to the active talk channel the audio is going to come out of the PC as well.
That's correct, the Clear Down message is transmitted over the Traffic (Voice) Channel, and if the audio was not going to the PC, TrunkView would have no way of knowing that the call had finished, and the need to return to the Control Channel.

With the audio going to the PC, it also means that you can record each conversation as a separate time-stamped WAV file.

I take it when its on the control channel plugged into the PC, do you get to hear the wonderful data noise still or does it mute that out?
The program Mutes it out.

--
Comint
yorky

Post by yorky »

Just testing TrunkView on a conventional scanner monitoring the control channel works well. You are right the base should be 415.5625 as its dishing out frequencies from my list.

How do you identify the talk group ID that is using it? I'm looking to isolate Stirling Security's group (seems to come up with Org: 1325 Tar: 6111 does that mean anything?

EDIT: And also looking to just lock it down to listening to certain groups.
Comint

Post by Comint »

yorky wrote:How do you identify the talk group ID that is using it? I'm looking to isolate Stirling Security's group (seems to come up with Org: 1325 Tar: 6111 does that mean anything?
Technically, MPT1327 doesn't use TGIDS.

MPT1327 uses Addresses, which consist of a Prefix (a 3 digit number, usually shown in brackets, and padded with leading zeros, if the number is less than 100 or 10), and an Ident (which may be up to 4 digits).

There are 128 Prefixes (000 to 127), with Prefix 127 reserved for System use. And each Prefix can have 8100 Idents. So a full address would be in the Format: (ppp) IIII

Org: = Originator of the Call
Tar: = Intended Recipient (Target) of the Call

Most MPT1327 Calls are one to one (I-Calls in Motorola Speak), however there is provision for Group Calls.

--
Comint