unknown new toy

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: unknown new toy

Post by robbage »

dxermouse wrote:I think I want to try and communicate with people in say USA and Europe would I need 50mhz for that what is so special about 50 to 54 mhz that requires a different license?
The 50-54 MHz band is one of those quirky things that will let you talk to other states and countries only when particular conditions occur. It has to do with ionisation of certain layers of the atmosphere.
One reason that band is different for each licence type is the same reason some other bands are different. If they gave everything to the basic level amateurs then nobody would bother attaining a higher level.
Also, some amateur bands are shared with other radio services so it's assumed you need more experience to deal with the issues involved. If you download the PDF document at the very bottom of this page it tells you what bands are available and what ham licence you need to use them. You can more or less assume that the lower the frequency, the further you are likely to go overseas. The lower frequencies are at the start of the document and they progress as you read on.
There's also another document which tells you what types of transmission each licence is allow to use (eg digital modes, computer controlled modes, automatic stations, beacons, repeaters etc)

Getting back to 50 MHz, the VX7 and VX8 series handhelds aren't going to get you distance contacts. The just don't have the power or a suitable antenna, plus they don't do SSB which is what your more likely to make a contact with.
Of course there are always exceptions with the right conditions and when people set their mind to it.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
dxermouse
Scanners and Receivers: yaesu vx-8dr

Post by dxermouse »

Zebedee wrote:Asking an amateur what's "best" is like asking a car enthusiast which car is "best"... You'll inevitably have the Holden supporters, the Ford supporters, and everything in between :P

Two of the major players in the amateur radio market for HF radios are Yaesu and Icom. Examples of HF radios from those two manufacturers would be:
http://www.icom-australia.com/products/ ... -7800.html
http://www.vxstd.com.au/amateur/ftdx_5000_d.html

These are just ones I've picked out at random, they're not necessarily the "best" ones. What's best depends on a lot of factors, everything from what kind of environment you're in to how much you're willing to spend ;)
I don't really care about branding arguments like holden or ford I just want the best features since I'm guessing that either brand supports different technologies or what they can do.. and I would spend top dollar for sure to enable I had the best. Which would be better out of those two since I wouldn't understand the brochures anyway I couldn't decipher what they are selling :P

I also saw this http://www.vxstd.com.au/commercial/vx_1700.html Can this transmit to overseas? on shortwave?

If I gave you 25 thousand dollars to spend on equipment what would you choose to make sure you could transmit on all frequencies?
best you contact Ham College directly and organise yourself for the January course. There's a cap of about eight people per course due to space limitations, and I know there had been quite a few expressions of interest in attending the January course already!
Thanks for the heads up I will give them a call tomorrow
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

dxermouse wrote:
Zebedee wrote:Asking an amateur what's "best" is like asking a car enthusiast which car is "best"... You'll inevitably have the Holden supporters, the Ford supporters, and everything in between :P

Two of the major players in the amateur radio market for HF radios are Yaesu and Icom. Examples of HF radios from those two manufacturers would be:
http://www.icom-australia.com/products/ ... -7800.html
http://www.vxstd.com.au/amateur/ftdx_5000_d.html

These are just ones I've picked out at random, they're not necessarily the "best" ones. What's best depends on a lot of factors, everything from what kind of environment you're in to how much you're willing to spend ;)
I don't really care about branding arguments like holden or ford I just want the best features since I'm guessing that either brand supports different technologies or what they can do.. and I would spend top dollar for sure to enable I had the best. Which would be better out of those two since I wouldn't understand the brochures anyway I couldn't decipher what they are selling :P
Yep - the only way to know what each does, is to read and decipher the brochures and work out which brand/model is "best" for your needs.

Out of those two, either would be more than capable of doing what you want. So it comes down to price, size, power consumption, which one you think "looks nicer" and so on.
I also saw this http://www.vxstd.com.au/commercial/vx_1700.html Can this transmit to overseas? on shortwave?
I don't know. It's a commercial not an amateur rig, but it says that it can transmit on the HF band so the answer is "probably, with the right antenna and setup". It says the power output is 100W. As a Foundation licencee, you're limited to 10W power output, so providing that radio can be set to transmit at the lower power level then yes, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work... But I don't know enough about that radio to give you a definite yes or no answer.
If I gave you 25 thousand dollars to spend on equipment what would you choose to make sure you could transmit on all frequencies?
Well, to transmit on all frequencies that Foundation licencees are permitted to operate on, I'd probably buy two radios - one that covers the HF band and one that covers the VHF and UHF bands. You'd also need antennas, cabling, SWR meters, and so on, plus decide if you want to be doing this at home, or in the car, or what ...

It may sound like a simple enough question, but the answer certainly isn't anywhere near as simple :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

(b) if the radiocommunications device is not a radiocommunications transmitter - $2,000.
Can someone please give me examples of these kind of device ? :smt017

Thank's
robbage
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way

Post by robbage »

A telecommunications receiver presumably. I'm not sure what type though. Maybe one with decryption. Maybe something specifically made to listen to something you are not legally allowed to listen to.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

robbage wrote:I also saw this http://www.vxstd.com.au/commercial/vx_1700.html Can this transmit to overseas? on shortwave?
I had a look at this radio. Yeah, it has capability of transmitting from 1.600 to 30.000 MHz which is basically the Shortwave broadcast band. But, with only 100 watt of power I don't think you can setup your own 'BBC World Service' or 'Deutsche Welle' ](*,) You can jam them just around your area though :smt036 hahaha To transmit shortwave so that the wave bounce off the atmosphere you are talking in megawatt of power. (Am I correct ? :?: )

And I also notice that it says VX-1700 - HF Transceiver - EXPORT ONLY. So I don't think we can buy them and use it here. :smt013

But interesting device if you can get one.

The VX-1700 is an integrated HF communications transceiver designed for the Land Mobile and Government markets.

The VX-1700 provides continuous receiver coverage from 30 kHz to 30.000 MHz. Transmit from 1.600 to 30.000 MHz. Operating modes include USB and LSB, AM and CW making the VX-1700 ideal for a wide variety of communications applications.
robbage
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way

Post by robbage »

Nosferatu wrote:I had a look at this radio. Yeah, it has capability of transmitting from 1.600 to 30.000 MHz which is basically the Shortwave broadcast band. But, with only 100 watt of power I don't think you can setup your own 'BBC World Service' or 'Deutsche Welle'
I doubt you can legally use it to transmit on any frequency.
HF covers many services besides short wave. There are nine amateur bands in that range as well as a number of others services like RFDS, commercial aviation and maritime, police, military, mining etc
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
offroada99

Post by offroada99 »

Zebedee wrote:
dxermouse wrote:
robbage wrote: I guess the obvious question is: are you a licence amateur radio operator? If not, do you want to be?
why do I want to be a licensed radio amateur radio operator is it important?
Yes, it's important as it's illegal to even own that radio, let alone use it.

The federal Radiocommunications Act says:
Unlawful possession of radiocommunications devices

47. Subject to section 49, a person must not, without reasonable excuse, have a radiocommunications device in his or her possession for the purpose of operating the device otherwise than as authorised by:

(a) a spectrum licence; or
(b) an apparatus licence; or
(c) a class licence. Penalty:

(a) if the radiocommunications device is a radiocommunications transmitter:
(i) if the offender is an individual - imprisonment for 2 years; or
(ii) otherwise - $150,000; or

(b) if the radiocommunications device is not a radiocommunications transmitter - $2,000.
So I guess it depends on whether you fancy your chances at being imprisoned for 2 years and/or be $150,000 poorer.

As for the rest of your post, it was inappropriate and has been removed.
what if that was unkown or he has never actually TX?