expert advice needed

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Daywalker
Scanners and Receivers: icom ic40-s

expert advice needed

Post by Daywalker »

Hi All

Great forum you have here...i've been trying to work things out for myself just by the threads on this forum and other stuff on the net but im still a tad confused

Recently I went through my cupboard at home and came across an ICOM IC-40S transceiver (yes it looks very old school) and i cant remember how i got this

anyway, can someone confirm if i can or cannot access any police channels/emergency services by using it.

I realise it is an old piece of equipment and i read the 2008 post about how the WAPOL service has been encrypted and digitised and no one can listen to it anymore, but judging by the recent posts it seems some people still can.

Granted im not tech-savvy in the slightest so any help you guys can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards
yorky

Re: expert advice needed

Post by yorky »

The Icom IC-40S handheld UHF CB radio can be programmed with an additional 20 channels between 450 MHz and 480 MHz.

There isn't much in the way of emergency services you can receive with that device (and a definite no to Police, the people that could hear them was a once off during a special event and still on digital).

There are a couple of UHF FESA links that depending where you are you might hear something on 451.075 or 451.150. Education security are on 466.075 (and 495.475 but that's over 480Mhz).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: expert advice needed

Post by Tyranus »

You can stick in Channels 11-20 for SES frequencies can be found in the One stop shop announcement in the FESA section. The listed frequencies for 1-10 are the repeater inputs, 11-20 are the repeater outputs.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.