Splitting an antenna between two scanners

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

yorky

Splitting an antenna between two scanners

Post by yorky »

Splitting an antenna between two scanners, does it effect the performance? I have a BNC splitter plug and I'm not sure if you are scanning/listening to two channels at the same time on the same antenna is advisable?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Splitting an antenna between two scanners

Post by Blinky »

as long as it's done with a properly designed splitter there should be little problem. Anything you stick inline will effectively reduce the signal somewhat, even coax connectors. A properly designed combiner/splitter would have sufficient isolation between ports that there should be no interaction.

I would not suggest just using a T connector to accomplish this. Have a look at the Diamond combiner/splitter as an example. Go here (http://www.diamond-ant.jp/ama2/eng_ama_2_7_6.asp) and scroll to the end to see the SS500. Another alternative is http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com/

I have no direct knowledge of either product. I just recently did a little research myself when following an idea I had.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I'm not using the antenna for 2 things at once, but did have t-pieces in my coax from the antenna in the roof. There's at least 2 in the system. 1 in the ceiling cavity splitting to my room and eventually to the verandah, the second in my room splitting to my bed side table or to my one computer desk. No problems with loss of quality or anything like that.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Lino

Post by Lino »

Hi u will not loose any signal loss as long as u connect 2 radios to 1 antenna but if u try to connect more than 2 u will have a lot of signals drop out due to the loss of all the connections and another way u can do this is buy a proper vhf/uhf multicoupler from StridsbergMCA204M for 1 antenna into 4 radios which i use 2 of them its not cheap but i connect 8 radios with no signal loss at all.

Regards Lino.
ALINCO-DJX-2000
AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-RX7/ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20/ICOM-R75/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500
ICOM-R9500
PALSTAT-R30A
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500
yorky

Post by yorky »

Ok using an old T piece it seems the results are good so far.

Goes vehicle external antenna + coax > T piece @ 1st output> scanner 1 - 2nd output> coax into scanner 2.

Had both receiving two different channels at once no issues.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator