MPT trunking software - trunkview

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

MPT trunking software - trunkview

Post by vk6hgr »

http://www.linato.net/trunkview

This sort of network is very popular here in Perth. I haven't played with this myself, does anyone have a list of control channel frequencies?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
richard omeara

Re: MPT trunking software - trunkview

Post by richard omeara »

These are the frequancys i used on my scanner when using trunkview.Im not sure what they mean by control channel.Hope it helps.Check general scanning section,city of Joodalup security page.Also maybe pm Comint he seems upto date with it.Lets know how you go im very interested.THANKS
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

The trunking channels are the frequencies with the constant data noise on them. All radios in (any) trunking network listen on the control channel for "Go To" commands to tell the radios involved in a conversation to switch to a conversation channel.

I can hear quite a few MPT control channels but most activity seems to be through 415.925 (ch29). The Telstra Fleetcoms network has plenty of control channels but is very quiet.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Gottya.I did have it working.I got the data coming up with the talk frequance.Once you get filters set and i found if you had the volume up yo high it failed.Ill give it another go soon.Thanks vk6hgr.
Comint

Post by Comint »

richard omeara wrote:415.6850,415.925,416.075
These are the frequancys i used on my scanner when using trunkview.Im not sure what they mean by control channel.Hope it helps.Check general scanning section,city of Joodalup security page.Also maybe pm Comint he seems upto date with it.Lets know how you go im very interested.THANKS
415.6850 - is City of Wanneroo (Ch 10). They have a Site at Wanneroo, and one at Yanchep. The System IDs start with "30".

415.9250 - is Biscom on QV1 (Ch 29), as previously mentioned. Biscom have about 9 sites in WA. The System IDs start with "00".

416.0750 - is Telstra Fleetcoms (Ch 41) at Dumas House. Telstra have over 20 UHF Sites in WA. The System ID starts with "5".

The Telstra Fleetcoms network is supposed to be closing down in June 2010 (at least in the Eastern States), but Telstra has been letting it run down for the last twelve to eighteen months, or more. Most of the Users have moved to other forms of communications.

As pointed out by Gavin, the Control Channels are the frequencies with the constant data noise on them. The other frequencies on a Site are referred to as the Traffic Channels - the GTC in MPT1327 actually means "Goto Traffic Channel". Each Site can have up to 24 Channels.

--
Comint

Edit: Corrected maximum number of channels.
Last edited by Comint on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comint

Post by Comint »

vk6hgr wrote:http://www.linato.net/trunkview

This sort of network is very popular here in Perth. I haven't played with this myself, does anyone have a list of control channel frequencies?
TrunkView, as downloaded, defaults to Filter Set 1. If you select Filter Set 3, TrunkView will display "Vote Now Advice" messages which show the Control Channel number, and System ID of Adjacent (near-by) Sites. So if you can monitor one Site, it will give you information on other near-by Sites, and you can gradually build up a list of Control Channel frequencies, and their associated Sites, and perhaps post your findings on these Forums.

The "Vote Now Advice" message tells the mobiles to compare the signal strength from the other Sites, with the signal strength from their current Site. If the signal is stronger from one of the other Sites, the Mobile changes to that Site's frequency.

--
Comint
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Thanks comint. Very informative.

I think parts of Telstra's network are already shut down. There used to be a lot of VHF MPT trunking here at one stage...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

OK this what happend.
On scanner (base) 415.92500
ID 0049
Control ch on trunkview screen 420.00000

Up comes on screen go to ch 108 freq 417.27500mhz

go to ch 115 freq 417.36250mhz
ch 048 freq 416.52500mhz
ch088 freq 417.02500mhz
ch 155 freq 417.86250mhz
Also trunkview alert balloon comes up that says voice call alert with these ch & freq att
Ive tryed putting these freq into a trunk system on my scanner with no luck.
Then what do i do with this infomation to hear some conversation?
Comint

Post by Comint »

richard omeara wrote:OK this what happend.
On scanner (base) 415.92500
ID 0049
Control ch on trunkview screen 420.00000

Up comes on screen go to ch 108 freq 417.27500mhz

go to ch 115 freq 417.36250mhz
ch 048 freq 416.52500mhz
ch088 freq 417.02500mhz
ch 155 freq 417.86250mhz
Also trunkview alert balloon comes up that says voice call alert with these ch & freq att
Ive tryed putting these freq into a trunk system on my scanner with no luck.
Then what do i do with this infomation to hear some conversation?
What the above means, is that you haven't set up the Sites Database.

The Base Frequency and Step need to be set up in TrunkView for each Site.
Click on Options -> Sites Database, and fill in the fields at the bottom.
The Control Channel is the Frequency you are receiving the data stream on.
Click on 'Add', and then 'Close', and you should be ready to go.

--
Comint
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

name anything
Id 0049
Control ch 415.9250
Base ch What is sent by trunk view(or do i have to calculate the base freq.ie base -0.0125 =)
step 12.5
Also on my computer im geting signal on my rec devices but nothing on my playback devices.Could this be causing a problem?
Comint

Post by Comint »

richard omeara wrote:name anything
Id 0049
Control ch 415.9250
Base ch What is sent by trunk view(or do i have to calculate the base freq.ie base -0.0125 =)
step 12.5
Also on my computer im geting signal on my rec devices but nothing on my playback devices.Could this be causing a problem?
Would recommend a name of:- Network Name plus Site Name - in this case "Biscom - QV1"

Base Frequency is as mentioned previously in this thread - 415.5625. Step is 12.5 kHz.

You also need to have two cables between the Scanner and the PC:-
- An audio cable, which you obviously have, and
- a Control Cable, so that TrunkView can command the scanner to change frequencies.

You also need to tell TrunkView the make/model of Scanner you are using.

--
Comint
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Yaaaaaa i did it thanks heaps Comint.Im geting voice conversation sort of.Its really cracklly i think its my computer.But there is sound.Thanks again. :lol:
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Some problems i had that may help others.
First the audio cable going from my scanner to computer was stereo to stereo.In put on scanner is mono.
Also had baud rate set to high.I had it set at 115200.Needs to be at 9600.On program and scanner.