Base Aerial Places to Buy in Perth

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Syphon

Base Aerial Places to Buy in Perth

Post by Syphon »

Hey there gang,

I have a UBCD396T and an Icom IC-R3 looking for a place to grab a discone
antenna in perth, not sure if allowed to mention businesse company names on here but there is a place in malaga that have one but dont have any in for
another 3 weeks approx.

Is there any other places in perth i can grab one? next option is grabbing one over east online but would really like to grab one in next few days, also what is the best one on the market, any with good db gain on pretty all freq upto 3ghz.

Thanx
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

try dick smiths or prestige communications
Syphon

Post by Syphon »

dick smith was no go they had none tried 3 stores, prestige none for another 3 weeks :(
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

WA CB Centre - it's in the phone book
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Base Aerial Places to Buy in Perth

Post by vk6hgr »

Syphon wrote: any with good db gain on pretty all freq upto 3ghz.
The broader the frequency coverage, the less gain the antenna will have, as gain is measured against a theoretical reference antenna that has even characteristics over a large frequency range.

For example a UHF CB antenna might have 6db of gain over the "perfect" antenna - but only on frequencies between 470 and 480Mhz.

So... what does this mean? A wide band antenna like a discone will cover a very large frequency range (often 30-3000Mhz) but it will have absolutely no gain.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Syphon

Post by Syphon »

thanx WPXZBP they out of stock until thursday and vk6hgr thumbs up for the info mate... looking to grab probably 2 antenna's now for the freq. range i tend to use the most.

:)
Syphon

Post by Syphon »

also guys im chasing a sma male to bnc male adapter i have searched online with no luck in australia and i have tried alot of electronic stores in perth any ideas where i could get one of these.

Thanks
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

WA CB seems to be the best place to buy little connectors like that. I purchased a male SMA to male BNC adapter from there a few months ago, give them a call first and ask if they have any in stock. If his russian receptionist answers just ask to speak to Ken and he'll help you out :)