Uniden UBC92XLT Receiving distance

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Lang

Uniden UBC92XLT Receiving distance

Post by Lang »

Hi,

I'm totally new to scanners. I would like to pick up the Police channels but not sure which scanner to get.

I'm thinking about getting the Uniden UBC92XLT. Does anyone know the receiving radius this scanner can get. I'm in Dianella, would I be able to pick up signals up to Joondalup and to Fremantle? If not what would I need to do, or maybe there's a better scanner which can do this?

I've heard about repeaters, do these help the signal strength without having to get an outdoor antenna?

What's the difference between the cheaper $200 scanners and the $500 ones? The more expensive ones just hold more channels?

Cheers
Lang
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Uniden UBC92XLT Receiving distance

Post by AV201 »

Lang wrote:Hi,

I'm totally new to scanners. I would like to pick up the Police channels but not sure which scanner to get.

I'm thinking about getting the Uniden UBC92XLT. Does anyone know the receiving radius this scanner can get. I'm in Dianella, would I be able to pick up signals up to Joondalup and to Fremantle? If not what would I need to do, or maybe there's a better scanner which can do this?

I've heard about repeaters, do these help the signal strength without having to get an outdoor antenna?

What's the difference between the cheaper $200 scanners and the $500 ones? The more expensive ones just hold more channels?

Cheers
Lang
Lang,
the 92XLT is very good in most circumstances. Generally speaking I would rate is 7.5/10.
You are in Dianella, according to me and as far as im concirned you can pick up everything as far from:
North: Edgewater
East: Midvale
South: Como
West: Cottesloe

So to answer your question the answer is no you would not be able to. However there are some other ways and some exclusions depending on what services you are looking for...Do you want Transperth Trains, or Police or what? Most are simplex to Complex repeaters which have a dual way channel to repeat, which in your case is good as it streatches the signal (again depending on what you want)

Forrestfield has a large repeater which is good for you if you want to hear things from the airport and you are North of the CBD (15KM)

At the end of the day you can hear around 15km radius of were you are. But this is just an approximation. See were I am, depending on what services, i can hear things of up to 40km away.
Cheers.

More expensive ones would tend to have a wider frequency range and more features (like a automatic squelch). However again it depends what you want to use it for.

If you ONLY want POL, you would be able to pick up Fremantle Base fine and you would also be able to pick up Joondelup area. You could in your area get all POL withing a 30 km radius. Your in a good location when it comes to CB and POL.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

i've got a ubc92xlt
and can pick up rockingham police from manning
no complaints, except that the background light turns of to quickly