New ARiel

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Tyson846
Scanners and Receivers: 93XLT

New ARiel

Post by Tyson846 »

Hi can anyone please help me to find a new areial for a uniden ubc57xlt plz message me thanks very much

tyson
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: New ARiel

Post by vk6hgr »

Tyson846 wrote:Hi can anyone please help me to find a new areial for a uniden ubc57xlt plz message me thanks very much

tyson
you mean, a new antenna? :-D

Try MobileOne. They sell pretty good handheld scanner antennas.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Tyson846

new antenna

Post by Tyson846 »

Hi yeah new antenna were is mobileone :P
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: new antenna

Post by Zebedee »

Tyson846 wrote:Hi yeah new antenna were is mobileone :P

Try here...

http://www.mobileone.com.au/antenna/default.htm
Tyson846

Post by Tyson846 »

do they stock srew ins
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Tyson846 wrote:do they stock srew ins
You'd need to check their website, or send them an email and ask!
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

A simple subsitute wich i have tried is a piece of copper wire from speaker wire works, just cut a piece of it, cut some rubber of both ends, get two small pieces of metal, with a hole or somthing in, tie one end to one piece and the other to the other piece, then put one end down the hole that the antenna goes in, it picks up all channels that you would pick up with a stock antenna, ill try and get a pic of my back up antenna that i just mentioned.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi JG-103. I just had a look at the UBC-57 antenna in a Uniden picture and your right it is a bit of a pain in the butt.

Are you after a new antenna for the radio because the old one is lost or broken or stolen or otherwise indisposed? Or are you after an adapter that screws into the top of the scanner and allows you to plug in an external antenna and put other antennas on top?

Either way I can possibly help you out, I just have to do a bit of searching round for the right connector to fit the scanner end. Does your scanner antenna fitting have a centre piece as well as an outer piece Ilike a pin in the middle), or is it just one machined piece of metal that scres in to the top of the scanner?

Regards,
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Hey brian, im not to sure, i need to get around to putting some pics of it up on the forum, currently i am making my own adaptor which will screw into my antenna jack and have a BNC end on it, iv still got my antenna but want to put in a mobile antenna which requires me having a bnc antenna jack, with my adaptor, ill be able to use the mobile antenna whilst im in the car and when i get home, i can unscrew the adaptor and use my stock antenna. Ill have to pop into your store sometime and have a look. JG103 :P
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Its just a round thing wich the antenna screws into, dats all i know.
JG103 :P
Brian

Post by Brian »

I've just been having a think about this antenna and how to get an adapter and I reckon you could be on the right track making your own.

Here's why. The antenna on the scaner is single pole only. i.e. unlike most scanners that have say a BNC connector on top, where the centre pin of the BNC is the active signal conductor, and an earth on the outside of the connector, with the UBC57 the entire thread is the conductor for the antenna and there is no earth on the outside.

What this means is if you make a connector to go to a BNC it can't be built to go directly on top of the scanner. It needs to have a flying lead going from the scanner to a BNC connector. Basically the conductor from the scanner (where the antenna screws in) needs to be taken up the centre conductor of a piece of coaxial cable. Then grab the earth sheild of the coax and somehow take it back to earth on the scanner body. This could be done on the ear plug (if you can get it not to cut out sound), or directly to the battery negative, or to some other earthing point of the scanner.

If it isn't done this way, chances are the conductor for the antenna on top of the scanner will quite possibly just be fed to the earth of the antenna and not the active element.

Regards,
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Uv lost me, iv made the thing but hav yet to try it, from what ur saying its not going to work, ill post up some pictures soon
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Everyone, the BNC adaptor that i made works fantastic :D I got the bandspanner antenna that goes into a base wich has a BNC end and it works a treat !!! :D I still cant work out how to put pics on this thing otherwise i would post the pics up. JG103 :P
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Last edited by JG-103 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »