U.S. Trunk Trackers

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

U.S. Trunk Trackers

Post by 1080 »

HI all
just getting back into scanning......and truncking which i have not done before & thinking ???
Can USA scanners be used in oz for trunking?
Thnx.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: U.S. Trunk Trackers

Post by Tyranus »

theoretically...yes
the particular encoding and decoding of a particular talk group is probably done the same way in both countries.
However, expect to find certain frequency bands innaccessible, for example I think the 78MHz range is not in the american scanners and so you will miss out on some of the different bands.
If you're just thinking about buying a scanner, don't waste the time and money ordering from the US, rather get an Australian compatible one that will give you the australian frequencies.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

being not overly knowledgeble on scanning... what is trunking?

i hear it alot, but buggered if i know what it is
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I ordered an Icom IC-5 (I think?) scanner about 4 years ago from the USA via the interwebs, it was 25mhz > 1000mhz with no interruption.
They clearly stated on the website that the 'export model' did not block the cell phone bands which were somewhere around 800-900mhz. Apart from that, as far as I know, the scanners have full coverage.

If I was a US citizen and purchased it, I would have got the model with 800-900mhz blocked out.

Bonez
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Nafenn wrote:being not overly knowledgeble on scanning... what is trunking?

i hear it alot, but buggered if i know what it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunked_radio_system

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Comint

Post by Comint »

1080 wrote:HI all
just getting back into scanning......and truncking which i have not done before & thinking ???
Can USA scanners be used in oz for trunking?
Thnx.
As has been pointed out elsewhere, the American scanners often don't have the 70 to 85 MHz Band. And whereas the Australian 800 MHz Band goes to 869.9875 MHz, the American 800 Mhz Band stops at 868.9875 MHz, and this is important if you want to Trunk-track Motorola 800 MHz Smartnet systems, of which there are one or two in the Perth area.

There are seven major Trunking protocols in the world:

Motorola
EDACS
LTR

MPT1327
SmartTrunkII
TETRA
TetraPol

and present day scanners will only handle the first two, or three protocols, depending on model.

There are a number of MPT1327 Trunked Radio systems in the South West corner of Western Australia, and these can be Trunk-tracked by using a PC controlled scanner in conjunction with software such as TrunkView.

--
Comint