Icom IC-R20

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Pty

Icom IC-R20

Post by Pty »

Hey guys,

since i sold my Icom IC-R5, i'm thinking about upgrading to the IC-R20. Does anyone have one and have any comments regarding it's performance, ease of use? How well does the SSB on low freq amateur bands perform? How good is the audio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers
Pty

Re: Icom IC-R20

Post by Pty »

... otherwise i might go with an ALINCO-DJX2000. Does anyone have any advice?

cheers
Lino

Post by Lino »

Hi i have the Icom-R20 and the performance across all bands is excellent use a Diamond-RH771 antenna audio is nice & clear but it will take u a while to learn how to use it and i also have the Alinco-DJX2000 which doesnt even come close to the Icom on performance you might also want to consider the AOR-8200MK3 which performance is as good as the R20 and when i go away i take the Aor-8200MK3/Icom-R20 because they are both realiable receivers.

Regards Lino.
AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20/ICOM-RX7/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500/ICOM-R9500
JRC NRD-545
KENWOOD TS-480SAT (2)
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500
Pty

Post by Pty »

Thanks for your comments, i appreciate them ;)

cheers
Pty

Post by Pty »

I have just purchased an Icom R-20 and holy hell what a nice receiver!

It's got nothing on my Icom R-5. The R-20 is EXTREMELY easy to use compared to the R5 and it just does so much more. The afternoon i received it i plugged in the standard telescopic antenna it comes with and did some searching. I tuned to the airband, wow it's loud and clear and probably the best i've ever heard! I then did some UHF emergency services, TV etc and it's also nice.

I then went out and sat down on my back deck, under cover, and tuned to the 20 metre band on USB and pulled in 2-3 solid conversations! I picked up a VK5 grey nomad out near alice springs just booming in like he was next to me (i'm in brissie) chatting to Gympie, Sydney & a few other places, but i didn't hear them very well. Amazing! And all with the standard antenna! Later in the evening i was on the couch watching tellie playing with the R-20 and i picked up some 10 metres on LSB, inside the house. :shock:

The dual watch function is excellent and the battery life so far seems extremely good!

On the downside, the audio is very weak so i mostly need to use headphones and i've already dropped it (ARRGHHH!!!) leaving a small scratch and taking out a chunk of one of the buttons. :oops: :evil: :roll: I'll be buying a soft protective case for it ASAP. #-o

All in all an excellent radio.

cheers
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Pty wrote:On the downside, the audio is very weak so i mostly need to use headphones and i've already dropped it (ARRGHHH!!!) leaving a small scratch and taking out a chunk of one of the buttons. :oops: :evil: :roll: I'll be buying a soft protective case for it ASAP. #-o

All in all an excellent radio.

cheers
Bubble wrap is good for protecting things ;) :lol:good to hear it's working so well!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Pty

Post by Pty »

cheers

didn't get any HF on sunday but got a little bit today. I think i need to rig up a better antenna ;)