Repeaters

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

wishbone

Repeaters

Post by wishbone »

hey guys its me again...with another question :oops: ...now i know that repeaters are the best way to pick up strong signals, but my question is how do i pick up my local repeater? and another question is about talk groups on these repeaters. how do i program these talk groups into my scanner..http://www.freewebs.com/sydney-scan/mylocalareafreq.htm (im trying to program the city rail transit officers into my scanner, and i was wandering how i would go about doing that)

cheers
Nick
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Repeaters

Post by Tyranus »

Ok the talk groups are only available if you got something flash and expensive like the uniden trunk tracker scanners, if you got the 93XLT which I believe you were looking at and may have purchased I lose track :).

Ok so you have the frequency 485.600 so maybe not train guards but the busses will have to do (I'm presuming you live in Sydney if you're looking at that webpage for frequencies). So go to channel 1, press in the numbers 485600 it will automatically add the (.) Press the function key then press the 'E' key it will cause the frequency and number to flash press the 'E' key again and it will step to channel 2 which will be zeroed and locked out. simply repeat this process. The pain comes when you want to place 5 rail frequencies on block 1 then on block 2 you want to put the fire frequencies etc. You can either locate a frequency and follow the above procedure or after pressing the 'E' key the first time you can I think use the arrows on the 2 and 8 keys to go up or down the channels. I use the first method, though i haven't put frequencies into the scanner for a while.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx mate! and yes i did purchase the 93xlt :P...owellz cant win them all can you :P...yep i live in sydney..thnx mate, but whenever i manually try to enter a frequency in it always says "error"..and another question is how do u delete frequencies that you have stored? oh yeah one more question about entering frequencies..do you know how the scanner has very little digits on the right side (next to where the bigger digits are), what are those little digits for?

thnx again!

Nick
yorky

Post by yorky »

To 'delete' an entry simply program in 000.000 into the channel.

And the tiny numbers at the end which I think are 25, 50 & 75 are so you can squeeze in something like 444.44450 etc.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Hi Nick, The little numbers are just part of the complete frequency step and I think they are displayed this way to keep the display uncluttered, if the frequency ends in zeroes they will not be displayed.
Also If you did not get an operating manual with your scanner, you may find this link useful.

http://www.uniden.com.au/resources_main ... XLT_OM.pdf
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

12.5kHz steps require the extra digit
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

thnx guys...u all been such great help! thnx! i have around 96 channels programmed in already :P....the city rail seems to be more of the interesting frequency...its soo addictive!im thinking about driving around in the city to pick up more frequencies :P.....
cheers
nick
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Just ensure that you're not programming and driving at the same time! Otherwise that's a good idea. I did a similar for some of the things.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

haha will do..probably just park outside a station or something...