New to WA

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

ricco1298

New to WA

Post by ricco1298 »

Good Afternoon/Morning all.

I am new to WA, having been a volunteer firie in SA for 17 Years, and I am interested in what radio networks are what, and wether my 780XLT trunk tracker scanner is worth using or hanging on to for over here.
I am keen to listen to Bushfire and Fire Rescue Services, SES, Sea rescue and Railways.
I dont have the gear here yet, but will be moving everything over soon.

I look forward to reading on with some of the toipics on this forum and look forwarrd to hearing back.

I can be contacted off list ricco1298@hotmail.com if that is easier.

Thanks

David Richardson
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Re: New to WA

Post by meg »

Hi David and welcome to the forum :)

I don't know your particular scanner model, but I'd imagine that since your main scanning interests don''t include the police that it will work fine here. The police have moved to an encrypted system here so you won't be able to pick their transmissions up.

There's a sticky in the FESA (Fire and Emergency Services Authority) forum which has the fire and rescue frequencies you're looking for.
http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4
Others will be in the other sections (such as Public Transport for rail frequencies).

There's also a number of volunteer firies (and a few career ones) on the forum (I'm one of them) who will be happy to talk about your experience as a firefighter in SA.

Cheers
Meg

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
ricco1298

Post by ricco1298 »

Thanks Meg

The nScanner I have is a desktop Uniden UBC780XLT.
It is great for analogue Trunked radio, as Country Fire Service, SES etc use back home.
Do the locals here run that style of network, or is it more a UHF repeater style etc?

I will have to go through my instruction book to see how to program it, as I got a mate to set up the trunking stuff....

Thanks
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

FESA don't run a trunked network.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

WPXZBP wrote:FESA don't run a trunked network.
Your scanner will do the job for what we have over here fine though. I've used a 780XLT for years now..