Digital Scanner

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Digital Scanner

Post by radiohead »

Hey,

I've been thinking about the new digital scanners a lot lately, Just wondering if anyone has one or knows what they're like and if it's worth buying one.
I know they cost around $1000 now, how long would they hold that price?
I'm tempted but I'm not rushing into anything when there's large wads of cash involved hehe :D
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

I plan on buying one the beginning of next month. You can always download the user manual online before purchasing it to get a better idea of its features. I'll let you know after I get it how it works out.
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

Went ahead and blew the dust off the old Visa card and purchased one today. Its coming from SA so I should have it in a few days. Will let you and everyone else know how it works out.
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

I absolutely love my scanner! Took me a while to figure it out how to use it properly. But once I did, its very nice, easy, and convient. If anyone else purchases one let me know and I'll send you my config files so you don't have to manually enter in the Freqs yourself.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

when are wa police changing to digital? does that mean the end of police frequency scanning?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Jmmw wrote:when are wa police changing to digital? does that mean the end of police frequency scanning?
I think mid-2007 was the last date I heard. Yes, when they go digital we won't be able to listen.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Questionable

Post by Questionable »

What about nsw police, are they going digital? Anyone know when?
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

i thought NSW had already gone digimacal ?
websurfing

Post by websurfing »

Millsy wrote:i thought NSW had already gone digimacal ?
Almost.....

With regards to Sydney Metro, the transition to digital UHF is almost complete.

Only 3 channels in the Metro Area remain on analog, the rest have been transferred to digital (but not encrypted yet - that should happen in June/July).

Tho it should be said that certain channels (i.e. Special Ops) are already encrypted.

HTH,
WS.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

This might sound stupid but when the cops go digital, does that mean we (as in those with just normal scanners) hav 2 buy a digital scanner to be able to listen to em? digital scanners dont alow u to pick up encrypted do they? and lastly will all the police channels be encrypted or just some?

Thanks
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

JG-103 wrote:This might sound stupid but when the cops go digital, does that mean we (as in those with just normal scanners) hav 2 buy a digital scanner to be able to listen to em? digital scanners dont alow u to pick up encrypted do they? and lastly will all the police channels be encrypted or just some?
That's right. They'll go digital encrypted so you won't be able to listen at all. Probably the entire metro area and then the south-west.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Questionable

Post by Questionable »

Is that why there going digi encrypted, so anyone with a scanner cant listen? (especially criminals).
So, will most people be going digital soon? Should i hold off my purchase(thats been delayed anyway due to car troubles) for a digital scanner?
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

So what is the point of gettin a digital scanner? What makes them work the extra $850 (in my case) . Im presuming something to do with quality of the recieving but theres not much point if there's no police to listen too-for me anyway-during the quiet fire season.