Which scanner for Emergency Services?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

impdxn

Which scanner for Emergency Services?

Post by impdxn »

I currently volunteer with both my local SES and Bush Fire Brigade. My primary need is for a scanner best suited to monitor these and other emergency service agencies (specifically the WA Police). Though, I won't complain about one that is good for monitoring other things as well. I'm not sure what I need as I'm not familiar with the radio networks here in Australia.

What do I need to listen to the WA Police, FESA, and other emegency services as their radio systems currently stand?

What would I need to listen to the WA Police when there new radio system goes online (assuming it is not encrypted)?

Thank you very much!!

(BTW, I did try searching first, but it wasn't clear on which one to get)
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

BTW, I'm also an amatuer radio operator (KF4MAO) so feel free to suggest any that have a 2-Meter combination as well. (Need to pick up a 2M Radio and get back into it).

And I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a handheld portable scanner, one that I can carry around with me. The smaller the better :)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

pdxn,

Welcome on board.

Mate - I have a fairly new Uniden UBC92XLT 200 Channel Scanner - Its definatley an improvement to what i used to have....

This also has a close call feature - which allows you (when activated) to listen to any other frequencies transmitting at that time.

It set me back around thr $280 mark from Dick Smith, but you may not need all 200 channels - try looking for a 100 channel if you wanted to....

Best of luck - let us know how you go...
gkoutlis
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

Thanks for the welcome.

Will the UBC92XLT work with the new WAPOL radio system being deployed in 2007? (again assuming it is not encrypted)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Not a problem pdxn,

OK - now this is Tricky :roll:

Cause i am sure that the new system that will come out for WAPOL radio - will be encrypted, and the only scanner that can decrypt and listen in costs around $900 or there abouts...but guys, please feel free to correct me if i am wrong....but scanning WAPOL next year is really iffy....so yeah

Refer to this link regarding the scanner descrip - http://vk6hgr.echidna.id.au/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=80
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

I agree it would most likely be encrypted, but in the event it is not then I would need the Uniden UBCD396T Digital Trunk Tracker Handheld Scanner correct?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I will be honest with you - I am not 100% sure - so i hope the others will chip in and let you know.
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

No one else on here knows or has any recommendations??
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

pdxn wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

Will the UBC92XLT work with the new WAPOL radio system being deployed in 2007? (again assuming it is not encrypted)
Assume it will be...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

I am assuming it will be encrypted. But I just wanted to know what scanner I would be needed if it wasn't encrypted. I think I'm just going to get the UBCD396T next payday.