WiNRADiO?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Static

WiNRADiO?

Post by Static »

Hello guys stumbled on this forum just this week I'm relatively new to Perth and this board it's great!

-Does anyone here use winradio?
-If so how do you rate it as far as rx capabilities, software, and support are concerned?
-Do you use a Linux or Windows based op system and how does it handle?
-What antenaes both fixed and mobile would you recommend to achieve the widest freq spectrum?

I am contemplating getting a WR-G305e.

VMT,
Static.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

I have an early model - the WR-1000i

• rx capabilities, software, and support

All excellent, although I think the software looks a little ugly :) I had a fault occur during the warranty and they fixed it and shipped it back pronto. Mine has a BNC for antenna due to the limited space on the back of an internal card. Would have preferred N type but that's the way it goes. The spectrum scan comes in handy. You set the lower and upper limit, mode, bandwidth etc and start it. It sweeps with a graphical display to show signal strength. After the first sweep it also shows min, max and max minus min so you can see what's happening over time... helps to find frequencies that are not used often.

I bought the digital package as well, which was the original one they did back then. It's not very good on what it supports and it doesn't support much. They do a new version which is supposed to be a lot better. There are heaps of other extra packages as well, specialty digital modes etc. None of them are cheap.

• Linux or Windows, how does it handle

Windows. I don't have Linux on the PC that the device is in. I can think of a few improvements that would suit me, but it does what it supposed to. Being able to control it from other programs and over LAN is handy. I've even got a DOS app to control it. Dunno if they still supply or support that.

• What antennae both fixed and mobile would you recommend

Can't say for mobile... not sure what is truly wideband. My device is internal so unlikely to ever be mobile.
For base, get a Diamond VHF/UHF discone up high. I've never had one but that's always the answer from others. If you want to listen to HF or short wave then a separate antenna, probably a long wire, also up high and as long as you can get. The discone won't pull much in at low frequencies.

Like I said, it's an old model that isn't sold any more, but it is still supported with software updates. Any new models will likely have better software and features.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Static

Post by Static »

Robbage,

Thanks very much for your input helps alot am still researching but I'm very keen on their products.
Yet to find anything in the same playing field as these guys, aussie made is also a definate plus for me.

Ta.