Buying a scanner for my husband

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

JayKay

Buying a scanner for my husband

Post by JayKay »

Hi all :D ,

Ive been looking searching the web for info on scanners and came across this site.

I am looking to buy a handheld scanner for my husband and have no idea which to buy. We would be using it to go 4wd mainly near yanchep and wedge island and in between, :D We mainly want it for safety but he would also like the to listen to the police if he can :D

Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance :D
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

As in the police thread there's no more listening to the police.
If you're looking at something to communicate with so you can talk or call for help then you're after a CB radio. You can then get any brand, Uniden and GME are fairly popular brands for CB. There are others however.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

Thanks, I've been looking at the uniden 73XLT and the 93XLT so I guess I'll have have to shop around, if there a difference if you get one from the US? :?:
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Don't order from the US, you'll find it'll come with the wrong frequencies. I had to break it to someone who'd ordered a US scanner that the reason they could only pick up a couple of frequencies and not all the FESA ones was because it was a US model. Order it from WA, go to Prestige Communications in Malaga or their webpage here. But remember you can only listen with those 2 scanners.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

Tyranus wrote:Don't order from the US, you'll find it'll come with the wrong frequencies. I had to break it to someone who'd ordered a US scanner that the reason they could only pick up a couple of frequencies and not all the FESA ones was because it was a US model. Order it from WA, go to Prestige Communications in Malaga or their webpage here. But remember you can only listen with those 2 scanners.
Thanks for your help, I am thinking how I can word this without totally sounding stupid, :oops: when you say you can only listen with them I assum that means if we need to talk to others for help we cant :?:

Lucky I asked here I was so close to buying the 93XLT
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

JayKay wrote:Thanks for your help, I am thinking how I can word this without totally sounding stupid, :oops: when you say you can only listen with them I assum that means if we need to talk to others for help we cant :?:

Lucky I asked here I was so close to buying the 93XLT
Sounds like you need a CB, not a scanner. Prestige do good deals on UHF CBs but there's no CB I know of that can tune in on any of the regular FESA frequencies.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Nope you wouldn't have been able to talk. Need to look at here to mount in your car. You'll also need to purchase an aerial from here and mounting brackets from here. These will give you a further range. However if range isn't an issue then you can purchase a handheld from the side menu which says UHF CB Handhelds.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

Thanks for all your help, i think we will head over to Malaga on the weekend :D
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

JayKay,

You could purchase a GME TX-3600 which will cover all the UHF CB channels for your husband to talk on - safety etc. It can also be programmed with 99 extra receive channels as well - these include the Police.

Before the other members jump on me, remember it was stated in the original post by "JayKay" that they would be using it in the Yanchep and Wedge Island area. Country Police can still be monitored....

This radio would take care of all your needs. More info at:

http://www.gme.net.au/commercial/transc ... tx3600.php
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... cts_id=315
https://secure.coastalelectronics.com.a ... 94S+S+544S+

Some pictures of installations can be found here:
http://members.dcsi.net.au/pkt/photos.html

Make sure your barter for the best price available when you contact these shops. If youy can't get them to come down in price at least ask them to throw in an antenna setup or something like that.

They are a good, sturdy radio - no I don't work for GME either...

Programming can be arranged...please PM me :D

Cheers, CC 8)
jasonjag
Banned

Aerial

Post by jasonjag »

[quote="JayKay"]Thanks for all your help, i think we will head over to Malaga on the weekend :D[/quote]

I have just been over to Malaga and purchased a SCBASE Scanner Base 25 -1300MHz aerial, Broadband coverage 25MHz to 1.3 gHz, indoors Im receiving all aircraft freq 90% clearer, but tower, 120.5 is still faint and scratchy.. I thought it would be a thin aerial but looks like a length of inch water pipe. shall try it outside later.
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

Thanks ConstableCare, I will look into those websites you have listed and let you know how I go :D
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Or you could get him a lawnmower.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

lol toottoot you always seem to amaze me with your ridiculously pointless posts completely off topic and sometimes uncalled for.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

Toottoot wrote:Or you could get him a lawnmower.
I could but I know he wouldn't use it!!! :wink: hence looking into the CB!!! :D
jasonjag
Banned

so true

Post by jasonjag »

[quote="Tyranus"]lol toottoot you always seem to amaze me with your ridiculously pointless posts completely off topic and sometimes uncalled for.[/quote]

Oh how true is that, always has to blow his horn.