Picking up southside?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

NoseyBugga

Post by NoseyBugga »

hey hey everyone.... im new to this site and to scanners in perth area, i cant seem to pick up the southside channel for my local cop area :( maybe im doing something wrong but all the others seem to work ok any hot tips ??
TracEy
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Try the other southside channels, shift or change the antenna. I assume you're in range of the southside and don't live at Yanchep or anything similar...
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Hey NoseyBugga,

Welcome to our forum. Good to see someone else from Kelmscott on here :wink:
Strangely, you seem to be having the same problem as me with the Southside channel! :lol:

I have no idea why the Southside channel isn't working. It was fine up to sometime in November last year (I posted in here somewhere else about this problem) then one day something happened with the Police Radio Comm's and I haven't been able to hear anything on ch 2 or 8 except for random stints of a few minutes when it's so scratchy it's not worth trying to listen. If I use my scanner in the car driving around other areas it picks up Southside fine so I think it's out of my control whatever the problem is.

I can hear the other area channels fine which is a shame really, I'd trade all of them to hear the Southside channel- it's by far the most entertaining one! Who knows, it might come back one day... :shock:
><((((º>··`·...·`·...·`··><((((º>
NoseyBugga

Post by NoseyBugga »

thanks for the welcomes :) maybe it just kelmscott which i to would trade all the other southside channels in for, kinda sux when u wanna hear wots goin on in ur own backyard so to speak and its the only channel on southside u cant get ... DOH !!
TracEy
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

NoseyBugga wrote:thanks for the welcomes :) maybe it just kelmscott which i to would trade all the other southside channels in for, kinda sux when u wanna hear wots goin on in ur own backyard so to speak and its the only channel on southside u cant get ... DOH !!

A bit annoying that you can't get 2 nor 8 from Kelmscott. Can you get it if you go for a walk outside with your scanner? What sort of antenna are you using?

edit: You're not in the foothills surrounded by a forrest of trees by any chance? :lol:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
NoseyBugga

Post by NoseyBugga »

yuhuh im in the foothills with the bush behind me !! i only just got my scanner so it hasnt come out with me yet !! but i have put both channels 2 and 8 in and pick nothing up from either of them ... thems the breaks eh
TracEy
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

NoseyBugga wrote:yuhuh im in the foothills with the bush behind me !! i only just got my scanner so it hasnt come out with me yet !! but i have put both channels 2 and 8 in and pick nothing up from either of them ... thems the breaks eh
Bummer. Not necessarily the end though, you could always put up an outdoor scanner antenna which will probably do the trick for you.

I'd recommend the SCABASE from:

http://www.mobileone.com.au/antennas/scanner.htm

(The first three antennas on that page are designed for car mounting).
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Hi NoseyBugga,

I know this is a long shot, but have you tried to adjust your Squelch button?

It's usually on the top of the scanner next to the volume -On/Off turn nob.

Try holding channel 8 or 2 so it doesn't scan other channels - then rotate the squelch nob (i think) - anti-clockwise till you hear some really loud noise then turn it back clockwise slowly until it stops and see if that works.

Please let us know
gkoutlis
NoseyBugga

Post by NoseyBugga »

lol been there done that ... i think the fact im in the hills might be the problem but ya get that eh !! thanks for the help anyways :D
TracEy
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

When ever im in gosnells i use the following frequency 467.8750 and pick it up fine, hope that helps but if ur scanner has a band search then search between the cop frequencies and hopefully then u might be able to find a better southside frequency whilst also finding out what other police channels u can pick up as well. JG103 :P
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

NoseyBugga wrote:thanks for the welcomes :) maybe it just kelmscott which i to would trade all the other southside channels in for, kinda sux when u wanna hear wots goin on in ur own backyard so to speak and its the only channel on southside u cant get ... DOH !!
Well you could just move house??! :D
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

Bummer. Not necessarily the end though, you could always put up an outdoor scanner antenna which will probably do the trick for you.

I'd recommend the SCABASE from:

http://www.mobileone.com.au/antennas/scanner.htm

(The first three antennas on that page are designed for car mounting).[/quote]

Have a SCABASE myself.Works a treat.Would recommend Code:4432 on the mobileone siteCheers.doogues71