Is it a waste of time to buy a scanner?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

deltabravo_131

Is it a waste of time to buy a scanner?

Post by deltabravo_131 »

Just wondering if it's a waste of time to buy a scanner considering they've switched over to PMRN.

Thanks.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

If you're not interested in listening to anything else then it's not far off being a waste of time, but if you're interested in listening to the Firies, SES in major storms, Ambo's and aircraft then get one!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
APCO 25 Encrypted

Re: Is it a waste of time to buy a scanner?

Post by APCO 25 Encrypted »

deltabravo_131 wrote:Just wondering if it's a waste of time to buy a scanner considering they've switched over to PMRN.

Thanks.
Do a search of the board or atleast have a look at my previous posts and you will find out all you need to know about the new WAPOL system about to be implemented.

Like Tyranus said, if you only want to listen to the police dont waste your money. Can an admin or mod lock this thread before it gets bombarded with posts about the new system please. Im sure we have enough already.
woobla

Post by woobla »

I got my cheapo scanner a few years ago and have had great years of listening. as I listen to the wapol themost (its the most interesting to me) I wouldnt have bought one if I knew digital was around the corner.

if you can pick up on cheap I would go for it, but if not, then well unless you listen to other stuff :/