what Scanner to get?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Brock

what Scanner to get?

Post by Brock »

hey guys, i am a new member and i am looking to buy another scanner. i currently have a Uniden Bearcat 120XLT but i am looking for a wideband scanner as there are many gaps in the frequency range of the 120XLT.

i am interested in spending 3/4 hundred dollars on a scanner and was thinking about buying an Icom Ic-R5. if anyone has any info or owns one of these scanners it would be appreciated if you could give me your opinion on how they perform and how they are as an overall product.

Thanks

Brock
donmcq

Post by donmcq »

by all means get the icom ic r5. however the user manual leaves a lot to be desired. once programmed the icom is a great scanner. i use edge scanning . if i can help any more get in contact
Pty

Post by Pty »

I also have a 120xlt, which i am going to sell as i think i've out-grown it. I've been eyeing off the R5 for a few months now and will probably buy one soon. I already have the software and programming cable as my icom uhf cb uses the same cable and the software seems good. I currently run a few icom transceivers and i am more than satisfied with the quality of RX signals from them compared to other brands.

I'd go for the R5. 8)
Brock

Post by Brock »

i just bought it a couple of months ago havn't had time to get on here a post a quick reply in ages. but ive found it heaps better than the bearcat obviously it would be, but for what i payed it was well worth the money ($375). i still listen to the same things, police etc. but there aren't any restrictions in terms of gaps bettween bands like the bearcat which was the main reason i wanted a new one. ill give it some time but for now i have been impressed with the unit as a whole and the features, maybe i could just get a better aerial for it but for now the reception is fine.

Thanks Brock.
Rusty_Nail
Amateur callsign: WYC681
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UH090 Uhf - Base Station
UH076sx - Handheld 5W Uhf
UH075 - Handheld 5W Uhf
Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah - AM, LSB and USB 27Mhz
Uniden Bearcat Handheld Scanner
Uniden Bearcat Base Station Scanner

Post by Rusty_Nail »

I bought a Uniden ubc248clt dekstop scanner as my first unit about 3 or 4 years ago now. It's a fairly basic scanner, think it goes from about 66mhz band up through to 512mhz. Is a great little desktop unit, just the frequency range is pritty small, however it does have AM and FM radio and an alarm clock.
I decided to upgrade to a more sophicsticated scanner, so I could moniter the 27mhz and Aircraft frequencies. Bought the BC246T early last year from prestige communications in perth. Excellent unit, the memory allocation takes some time to get used to, but it incorportaes the Close call function also which is awesome. A lot bigger frequency range in a small compact handheld unit (which can also be PC controlled)

If you are looking at purchasing a new scanner, I would personally recommend Uniden. Every unit I own is a Uniden, UHF CB's, 27Mhz CB's, scanners, even my cordless phones. Havn't had any problems with them at all.

Also, get yourself a discone antenna.. I have mine mounted 15 metres and the reception is excellent! These are available through Prestige (Dick Smith dont do them any more)

Good luck.
scanvictoria

Re: what Scanner to get?

Post by scanvictoria »

Brock wrote:hey guys, i am a new member and i am looking to buy another scanner
There was only 1 good option i could think of but you bet me to it yourself.
Brock wrote:i currently have a Uniden Bearcat 120XLT but i am looking for a wideband scanner as there are many gaps in the frequency range of the 120XLT
Typical Uniden :)
Brock wrote:if anyone has any info or owns one of these scanners it would be appreciated if you could give me your opinion on how they perform and how they are as an overall product
I owned 2 at one stage, but have moved on to something new !!
Cant say that there is any bad points about the R5, maybe that its got to many features for the keypad.....
However, its certainly a good move from uniden.
What won me over about this unit was how it can decode CTCSS, which was good for getting the tones for frequencies for my site.
Pty

Post by Pty »

Does the R5 actually decode and 'lock onto' CTCSS tones if you don't know what they are but are listening to a freq and want to know?
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

Pty wrote:Does the R5 actually decode and 'lock onto' CTCSS tones if you don't know what they are but are listening to a freq and want to know?
I'll try explain.

Im listening to a police frequency, (for example)
And i would like to know if they are using a tone.
While the police are transmitting, i could activate the CTCSS decoder, which would toggle through the tones automatically trying to decode the tone they are using (if any), it no tone is detected it will keep toggling.
However if it finds one, it will stop on the screen and flash the CTCSS tone they are using. (you can also set it to make a few beeps when it finds it)
If the police transmissions stop, and there isnt activity for a few seconds, the decoder will NOT pause, it may start all over again.
So be patient and wait for a transmission that will last approx 45secs to a minute and you will have results.

I hope that answers your question.
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

A couple of notes i forgot,
You need to manually activate the decoder each time you want to try decode the tone.

And

You will need to manually program the tone in on the frequency if you already saved the frequency to memory.
Otherwise you can choose to save the frequency and tone once tone is decoded.
Pty

Post by Pty »

I was going to buy an Icom R5 a while ago but decided not to because i was under the impression after reading it's manual and website that it allowed you to program in CTCSS tones for listening but did not have this ability:
scanvictoria wrote:While the police are transmitting, i could activate the CTCSS decoder, which would toggle through the tones automatically trying to decode the tone they are using (if any), it no tone is detected it will keep toggling.
However if it finds one, it will stop on the screen and flash the CTCSS tone they are using. (you can also set it to make a few beeps when it finds it)
If the R5 is able to search for tones then it's exactly what i'm after!

Cheers
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

Pty wrote: If the R5 is able to search for tones then it's exactly what i'm after!
You certainly get your moneys worth :wink:

I havent seen any other brand of radio that decodes ctcss tones and displays the tone on your screen once found......anyone seen any ????
Pty

Post by Pty »

This is what i've found that decode:

Uniden 780XLT desktop
Kenwood TK370 handheld
Icom 208 Amateur (most amateur radios will)
Tait 2020
Tait 8025
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Our main 2 scanners are 2 x 780XLT's (1 in car - 1 in office)

Dont know the stats but they do the job great for us!
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Icom Ic207H , Ic-T90 and IC706MK11G all Decode ctcss and have extremely good intermod rejection and sensitivity but you need an amatuer licence or to have the tx disabled .The foundation license is easy to obtain and enables you to enjoy some very good products legally.
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

:oops: I forgot uniden actually have a couple