Icom IC-41S UHF C.R.S. Transceiver Handheld

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

herbie1204

Icom IC-41S UHF C.R.S. Transceiver Handheld

Post by herbie1204 »

I purchased one of these on Monday mainly for work reasons.
Is it a good one and what sort of accessories can I buy to make it better (if that is possible).
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

herbie1204

Post by herbie1204 »

Thanks for that. I've heard that Icom aren't too bad. I have an Icom IC-R5 scanner as well. :)
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

hi, my mate has a 40s had he reckons that pritty good and i would imagine they would only improve on that , i have a GME TX7200 myself ,and i think there all decent radios , i havent had anyproblems / heard of any problems myself , and i know GME TX7200's take an awsome beating , just because of the metal chassis , the thickness of the plastics and quality of parts:D
herbie1204

Post by herbie1204 »

Not doing this to bump the thread a bit more. Just a question. I am looking at the possibility of getting a high gain antenna for my icom ic 41-s. Went to a communication place Wednesday to ask them a couple of questions.

Basically he said to get high gain I would have to get an adapter for the handheld then run a lead going to the roof of where I work or my car then have a big antenna on the end. That kind of defeats the purpose of having high gain for a portable when you can't have it on high gain while on foot. Is there a high gain antenna I can buy without having to do what I have outlined in this paragraph?
w0mbat
Scanners and Receivers: AOR 8200 MKIII

Post by w0mbat »

My understanding ( and I may be corrected) is that the more gain an antenna has the bigger it has be. It was explained to me with satellite dishes. The stronger the signal you want, the bigger the dish has to be.
This is also the same if you want to pick up signals a long away away. Need a large antenna to collect more of the weak signal.

Cheers

--w0mbat