Scanning while driving

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Scanning while driving

Post by Jared »

Hey all, Iv got a small uniden 72XLT and it works great while im inside the house and im content with its range and power but concidering im starting to drive a lot and the scanner keeps skipping channels and picking up different frequencies as i move around the places. So i was wondering if it would be worth while installing an antenna on my car. Would it really make a difference and how would i know which one to get
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Having an external mounted antenna gives far greater performance and its really worth doing if you use the scannner in the car a lot. I have a Mobileone Bandspanner on my ute and i find it works pretty well as both a receiving and transmitting antenna. Have a looky here http://www.mobileone.com.au/antennas/scanner.htm
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

I put an external GME antenna on my commodore today, works a treat, picking up Albany Police who are 300km away!! Amazing! Ran the cable through the boot so not to have it as a permanent thing.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Cool, cheers, What would you reccomend antenna wise? I dont want something too expensive and im a pretty handy man so i could install it myself. Cause my car is a 2whl sedan i dont want 1 that will tower over the car. Is our SES vehicles we have v small antennas, alike the ones in the unmarked WAPOL cars. Something like that would be fine but i wouldnt have a clue about them?
Any suggestions? Thanks
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Mine is roughly 40cm long, on a mount screwed into the side of my car, the antenna is fibreglass and was only 30 bucks. You can buy magnetic mounts with ready-made cable as well. The end of my cable had to be changed to a bnc connection, the same as on top of your scanner. The antennas mentioned in the above link are more than good enough to do the job, especially in Perth.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

You would have been listening to a repeater that is relaying the GT Southern radio channel ( they are linked throughout the Gt Southern)not getting 300km only 40/50km to the link repeater
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Yeah I guessed that when I thought there was no way it was possible, I occasionally get Boddington etc. too.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

i find almost no difference between using the bandspanner on my car and using the scanner's antenna whilst driving.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Boddington on the same hub 468.100
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Sorry, didnt realise that above link didnt go straight to the product. Here is another

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... View/D4434

IT coveres a broarder spectrum of frequency range. Its in the local store so i may just go look at it
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

It would do the job.
FG103

Post by FG103 »

Definately worth considering. Im in Gero and can receive VKI nice and clear in the summer months when the conditions are right.