Radios, bands, licenses and stuff

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Tyranus wrote:I'm not sure how this fits in with ACMA, they may not be concerned about anything under a certain power rating.
All radio transmitters need to be licensed, regardless of power. For kids toys the ACMA will usually issue a class license that will cover all transmitters of a frequency under a certain power.

For example, the 433Mhz band is actually licensed under a number of class and apparatus licenses. What the ACMA calls the primary license holder is actually the military. They have final say over how the band is used and are guaranteed interference protection from everybody else.

The next tier down is the secondary allocation, which amateurs know as the 70cm band.

Underneath this still is a open class license. The ACMA allows any transmitter to operate on this band so long as it meets the requirements of the class license. In this case, it's a limitation in transmitter power.

So kids walkie talkies, wireless LAN and CB radios etc all have to operate with a license and most of these use a class license. With class licensing, individual users don't require their own license to operate, but the radio is still licensed by the ACMA under the appropriate class license.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Sweet thanks for that!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Right, makes good sence, cheers!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Ditto. Thanks guys!

-Mike :smt096