Few Questions (Uniden UBC72XLT)

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Few Questions (Uniden UBC72XLT)

Post by Jared »

Gday there all, Obviously, Im new to the world of scanning, I got my first scanner the Uniden UBC72XLT and iv been playing around with it and got my first few transmittions.

What is the go with channels and Frequencies? Are channels totally dependent on the individual scanner or is there like a general concensis on channels to frequencies?

Im basically woundering if anyone can help me with programming the channels & frequencies into my scanner. Im just a bit lost with how things work. Im a newbie to the SES so i know the basics but im not a comms person so im not going to get firther knowladge.

I live in Rockingham can anyone please give me some guidance on our local channels and frequencies?

I have looked at the frequency lists that have been linked from their sections but i dont know how to use them.

Thank you to all who help :lol:
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Gday Jared , welcome to the group. Setting frequencies to a channel number is totally up to you mate , there arent really any rules there. I just set mine up so i roughly know where to look when i wanna find something quick, for example i have aviation frequencies in the first 20 channels, then police in the next 20, then firies and SJA next, etc etc...you get the picture.
The best advice i can give you for finding local frequencies is to use the following link http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/regis ... .main_page
This is a government website that shows all licensed radio frequencies in the country. When you get to that page you will find 3 drop down boxes near the top of the page. Change the left hand box so it says sites, leave the middle one to say any detail and then enter Rockingham in the right hand box. So now it says " find sites where any detail matches Rockingham". When you click on the Go button you will be taken to another page with a bunch of local addresses on it. On the right hand side of the addresses is the Site ID numbers in blue, click on these to get the expanded details for that site. What you are looking for in these details is the following information.... Where it says operating mode you want it to say Transmit and where it says coverage you want it to say Local. If the information matches these details this means you should be able to receive transmissions from this station when in the Rocky area and you can now enter the assigned frequency in you scanner.
Sorry if i made your head hurt :lol: but go have a play with that and im sure it will all make sense to you soon.
If you dont have a copy of the instruction booklet for your scanner, here is a link for it http://www.uniden.com.au/RESOURCES_MAIN ... or_web.pdf
Any more questions after all that .....just ask away.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Yeah mate thanks! It makes purfect sense... i just had to read it a few times. :lol:

Cheers for that.

But i do just have 1 more question about general scanning. Last night I was listening to the Rockingham Police and the operator said "Change to channel 16", I then lost all transmittions from them. Can scanners only pick up one frequency of the police cause they surly must use 4 to 5 frequencies but i can only find 1? Why is that?

Its like the SES, I know that we operate of several frequencies, I have found them all but the police I havnt.
Cheers
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

What was the frequencie you were running off?

Probbly Running Chan 12 or 49.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

In my scanner i have it as chn 14 freq 468.225
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Its ok. Iv met another person local to me and we have the same scanner. He has given me some channels and frequencies. Thanks