Best Scanner Icom IC-R5 or Uniden 92XLT

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

col821

Best Scanner Icom IC-R5 or Uniden 92XLT

Post by col821 »

Hi
I'm new to this so be kind to me....

Was wondering if anyone could tell me which of these 2 is the better ?
Icom IC-R5 or Uniden 92XLT.
I'm just getting into scanning so I want something reasonably cheap, but also reliable. I would like as broad a scanning range as possible as I like listening to Police, FESA and Aircraft, I would like to also listen to Rail.
I'm currently using a 20+ year old Realistic Pro 2020. So if niether of these is any better than I already have I would also be happy to recieve your advice.
Thanks in Advance.
Pty

Post by Pty »

I have an R5. I find it excellent as it's small, has good battery life and good audio. I have owned it for over 12 months now and i wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to program it as i purchased a programming cable and use the computer to set it all up which i found quite easy. So i recommend that if you purchase an R5 allow room to get a cable (about $60) and source the software from somewhere it makes it a million times easier to program.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I on the other hand, have a uniden 92XLT.
It's fairly simple to use, nice and light, and will pick up all the main things you want to listen out for, I purchased an extra aerial for my car, and another which I mounted on a tv pole just outside my bedroom window, both help pick up better traffic, however the little aerial that comes with it, was picking up Armadale VHF traffic earlier today when I was walking through Midland. The mistake I made was just to program randomly, check out the frequency sheets, and set out what frequencies you want to listen in to. I've setup, the main Mundaring ones, including DEC, as well as the Freo, Armadale FRS channels, and a some of the Wanneroo area channels as I have a mate, at Wanneroo BFB. As well as the 8 fireground channells, I then sorted them by frequencies and entered them into my scanner in that order. If you know the frequency ranges of your scanner, for Fires you're looking around 76 - 79 MHz, Police ambos and SES is all in the 400 MHz range, unsure about Rail and Air, but if you look in the respective areas of the site, they will probably have a sticky for just that.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Lino

Post by Lino »

Hello the Uniden is easy to programm but the Icom has a wide frequency coverage and you can buy the software for it & load up the frequencies & it will only take a few minutes.The Icom is way smaller in size than the Uniden.

Regards Lino.