Best Scanner Antenna?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

HPS

Best Scanner Antenna?

Post by HPS »

Hi All,

Just wanted to get your (expert!) opinions on which scanner antennas you feel are the best for handheld and vehicle use.

Thanks in advance

HPS
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Mobileone Cat d-4433 25-1300MHz

It's 35cm long tho.

I bought my from Dick Head Smith's although I haven't used it in well over 12 months it worked a treat.
Lino

Post by Lino »

Hello I use the DIAMOND-RH771 and its an excellent antenna for portable scanners.

Regards Lino.
stevesperformance

Post by stevesperformance »

for car use i'll using a mobile one D-4437.Great antenna
1050mm long
omni directional
25mhz - 1300mhz
5db gain
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

At home, I have the SCBase by mobile one, and on my car I just have a stainless steel UHF aerial which was about $20 from Strathfield Midland, I did get a bigger one from Mobile one which is meant for scanning, unfortuneatly my car looks funny enough with 2 UHF aerials sticking out the back on magnetic mounts never mind having an overly tall one! Oh and it got knocked off when I reversed into the garage! Pity you don't get nudge bars for Hyundai Getz otherwise I'd mount them on that!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Best Scanner Antenna?

Post by vk6hgr »

HPS wrote: Just wanted to get your (expert!) opinions on which scanner antennas you feel are the best for handheld and vehicle use.
The technical answer is that the best antenna for your scanner is the one which is resonant in the bands you listen to. Don't listen to anything but UHF (400-500Mhz?) then you probably don't need an antenna that goes all the way down to 25Mhz. Conversely, If you listen to the firies on 79Mhz then you obviously can't use just a UHF antenna.

Most antennas for handheld use are, quite honestly, rubbish. At home, get a good outdoor base antenna such as a scantenna (or dedicated UHF, or VHF...) and stick it up in the air as high as you can.

On your car it's a little easier, but the antennas designed to cover down to 25-30Mhz are larger so you'll have to consider that if it's worth having a smaller antenna that covers more of the bands you're interested in.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr