Analogue or digital

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

MidKnight123

Analogue or digital

Post by MidKnight123 »

Going to buy a new scanner soon (first one since i last had one about 20 years ago)

So what would be the best choice, going analogue or digital? Can the digital scanner still be used to listen to the analogue channels?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Analogue or digital

Post by vk6hgr »

MidKnight123 wrote:So what would be the best choice, going analogue or digital? Can the digital scanner still be used to listen to the analogue channels?
Yes, digital scanners can still receive analogue. I'd be wary of buying a digital scanner to listen to the new Police comms though, since it's digital and encrypted.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
MidKnight123

Post by MidKnight123 »

yes i know that police will if not already have gone encrypted,but would i be better of buying a digital scanner than a analogue?

if so, please point out the benifits.

thanks
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

MidKnight123 wrote:yes i know that police will if not already have gone encrypted,but would i be better of buying a digital scanner than a analogue?

if so, please point out the benifits.

thanks
Well the key benefit to me would be that a digital scanner can receive digital AND analogue transmissions, whereas an analogue scanner can only receive analogue transmissions.

So you have to work out what you want to listen to on your scanner (now and possibly in the future) and whether those transmissions are (or will) be digital or analogue.

Then, compare prices between an analogue and a digital scanner and work out if the extra cost for buying a digital scanner is worth it for what you intend on listening to...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lino

Post by Lino »

That dippends of what you want to listen to in my situation I listen to the Airbands most off the time but I do have digital scanners in case I want to listen to something different.

Regards Lino.