suitable scanner

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

bdstaines

suitable scanner

Post by bdstaines »

What would be the ideal hand held scanner for use in Australia and Overseas. Around 3/4 hundred dollars preferable.

thanks
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: suitable scanner

Post by vk6hgr »

bdstaines wrote:What would be the ideal hand held scanner for use in Australia and Overseas. Around 3/4 hundred dollars preferable.

thanks
What do you want to receive? Local stuff or overseas (i.e. shortwave)?

Might be worth keeping in mind that scanners are illegal in many countries, particularly the UK.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
bdstaines

Post by bdstaines »

I was thinking of using it while on holidays
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a UNIDEN BEARCAT UBC3000XLT HANDHELD SCANNER from e-bay - would anyone recommend this model?
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

The 3000xlt was (and still is) a very versatile hand-held. The 25-550mhz coverage gets you the military UHF air band which is probably the main attraction for people buying these sorts of radios. You also get selectable 5/12.5/25khz spacing which a lot of Uniden and Realistic handhelds don't have.

One thing to be mindful of: these radios had on-board Ni-cads as a rechargeable battery pack and on some 3000s that come up on eBay the Ni-cads no longer hold any charge. Some eBay vendors are honest enough to admit the Ni-cads are 'dead', but it's worth asking.

Try searching the words 'uniden' '3000xlt' and 'review' and you'll probably find some good reviews of the set, particularly from the USA.
numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Post by numloxx »

I have the 3000XLT and it's a workhorse. 400 Channels, devided between 20 banks of 20 channels. Great range 25mhz-1300mhz. The Nicads can be replaced by Sony batteries, as mine were done when I bought it off ebay.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I also have the 3000XLT and yep the batteries are knackered. But other than that it still works fine :-)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Dear Zebedee, numloxx & Steve,

Guys - Thanks heaps for your input and advice.

Cheers.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

Personally, I would prefer a 3000xlt to any Realistic/Radio Shack hand-held.

I'm not bagging the Realistic product (I'm a proud PRO-2004 owner of 15 years' standing) but I'm pretty sure there was never a Realistic hand-held produced that had continuous 25-550 mhz coverage and 5/12.5/25khz frequency steps.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

George, i would recommend that you make sure it can pick up the 6IP channel i gave you a while back, make sure it can pick it up and some other channels, try before you buy, any scanner with more than 10 channels and has more than 3 decimal places like your scanner would be ideal. hope that helps JG103 :P