new scanner or bigger aerial?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

chrissss

new scanner or bigger aerial?

Post by chrissss »

hey guys
just wondering if anyone could tell me ilive near kwinana and have a uniden 57xlt can only pick up south metro, south east metro, peel and north east metro/hils channels on it just wondering if i got a bigger aerial for my room e.g base o something would i be able tpo pick up perth and others or should i buy a new scanner was thinkin 72xlt or something

thanks in dvance

chris
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Get a bigger antenna, but your going to need to make my adaptor which i will help you with.
The fact that you live in a bit of a gulley doesnt help. If you get a 72xlt, your going to have the same problem because the antenna are both pretty much the same size.
So I think you should get a big antenna, and mount it on your roof because that way, if you decide to get a base station like i have, you'll have the the antenna all set up.
Dont forget that fesa will be changin to high band UHF and some other frequency band so you'll need one to pick up 100-160 (approx coz i dont know it exactly).
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: new scanner or bigger aerial?

Post by vk6hgr »

chrissss wrote: if i got a bigger aerial for my room e.g base o something would i be able tpo pick up perth and others or should i buy a new scanner was thinkin 72xlt or something
Even a better scanner can't give you a signal that's not there in the first place.

Go for a good, outdoor scanner antenna and put it as high as you can make it.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

oh ok
so having ac power wont increase signal strength

chris
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

? :roll:
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

guess they dont know :smt102
w0mbat
Scanners and Receivers: AOR 8200 MKIII

Post by w0mbat »

Not sure if this is what you are after Chrissss. There are 2 parts to your question

Scanner.
If you want a unit that will pick up signals from further away, you need one with high sensitivity ( how well they can hear if you like). Recievers are more sensitive at certain frequencies than others. So check out the sensitivity of your scanner or the unit you are looking at.

Antenna.
There are 2 types. wideband, which give (for arguments sake) little gain. That is they do not make the signal much stronger.
Then there are narrow band that are for certain frequencies (air or police) and these boost the signal slightly. Every 3dB gain boubles the signal level.

I hope that helps with what you were asking.....

:)

--Steve
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

thanks wombat id lik it in english if posible
but basically i can only pick up what i can now really???

chris
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

lol chris, no what he means is if u buy a scanner with higher sensistivity then u will be able to pick up signals that cant be picked up by your scanner now because they are too weak for it.

Another thing, he says if u get a 6dp antenna like the bandspanner then you will double the signal strengh that the scanner pics up the frequency- ie making it twice as more clear than with out it.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

roger

chris