Advice - Which Scanner?

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

1nosyt

Advice - Which Scanner?

Post by 1nosyt »

Hello All,

I am new to your forum and seeking some of your wisdom.
I would like to buy a scanner to listen to whatever is available.
Price is not really an issue (within reason) so I am thinking about buying a digital one as long as it's hand held. I have been looking on the net at the Uniden BCD396T as it seems to have a lot of features.

If anyone could advise me on the better of the hand held digital scanners, it would be greately appreciated.

Many Thanks
nosyt
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I guess the first question you should ask yourself is what kinds of things are you interested in listening to. Once you know that, it might help a little with your selection based on what frequencies different models cover and if they are analogue or digital transmissions...

I notice you said "whatever is available" which suggests you don't have any fixed preferences. In which case, getting something that covers a very wide band would be ideal - and as far as I know a fair number of scanners on the market today will fit that requirement nicely.

Other than that, it's been a long while since I bought a new scanner so I've got no idea about what's good value at the moment, sorry...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Great value for money is a UBC 57xlt, but good luck finding a new one. I think the UBC 72xlt and 92xlt are good values for money, not too complicated either.
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

Welcome 1nosyt,
I own a UBCD396T and I can say it's worth the money.A great little unit.
stevesperformance

Post by stevesperformance »

:D I own a UBCD996T and love it
thegreat_patrick

Post by thegreat_patrick »

Hi!

While I was also looking for a radio scanner, I found this site on the Internet. It has vey good info. Helped me a lot. Just thought it might be of help to you, too.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

thegreat_patrick wrote:Hi!

While I was also looking for a radio scanner, I found this site on the Internet. It has vey good info. Helped me a lot. Just thought it might be of help to you, too.
This is a legit link thanks thegreat_patrick for providing us with it. Of late the links that have been posted are links to viruses. We ocassionall get the odd spammer welcome aboard.
Lino

Post by Lino »

Hello,I know its not easy when it comes to buying a Scanner and first you need to know what do you like to listen to and I do own the UNIDEN-396 and the 996 and they are good Scanners but you can also get yourself a wide band receiver AOR-8200MK3,ICOM-R20 and they are excellent receivers but they are slow to scan channels but have a wide frequency coverage and there is a lot of accessories to add with this Radios.

Good Luck Lino