Car antenna for UHF scanner

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

yorky

Car antenna for UHF scanner

Post by yorky »

Hi guys, I'm looking around for something to use for an external car antenna for my Bearcat scanner, I think it has a BNC connector (~10 year old scanner).

DSE doesn't have much and ebay I can't really find what I need.

Looking for something temp like a magnetic base to stick on the roof or something. Thanks :)
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Take a trip to WACB next to GolfBox in East Perth cnr Lord and Newcastle.

I bought a bracket like device which fixes to your car by doing up 2 little hex keys. You then run the lead thru your boot and interior and have it set-up in your car.

It cost about $60 from memory with about 10 foot of coax cable an an aerial.

I went this option as magnetic stick-on options can damage you paint.

If you want a pic, let me know and i'll sort something out.

I haven't used it in well over 12 months now, since I flogged my VY off.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Thanks Tom, how does the bracket attach to the boot? That does sound good didn't think of that (was thinking about the bonnet/front but I can't get cables through the firewall easily).

Only issue is my boot (sedan) has a stock spoiler on it which actually wraps around the the side of the boot, but it still might work depending on how it attach's.

Actually heres a pic of my car, you can see the boot area: http://members.iinet.net.au/~wmaawa/rig ... hoto3.html
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

It clamps on and nips up to the boot lid via 2 allen keys. Can rip it off in about 30 seconds.

I'm not sure if it would fit with that rear spoiler you have.

I'll take some pics of mine if I get a chance before going to LA next weekend.

Take the trip to WACB and have a chat.

Can get an on-glass antenna for about $60ish installed.

I guess it depends on what you want to listen too, maybe try a rear parcel shelf set-up.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

You can always mount it on the front instead. I've got one on the front of my Commodore.

Not sure why you didnt have any luck at DSE - they still carry the boot/bonnet mounts and antennas, coax etc..

Try http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... duct/D4515
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Yorky,

That link fastlane posted is the exact mounting device I was trying to refer to.

For a front set-up, you could try a Z-bracket mounted which bolts onto one of your fender mounting bolts.

Failing that go and see that dude I mentioned, he doesn't charge for advice.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I got the same one as you tom by the sound of it, the bracket cost i think $20 and i bought a coax cable and base thingy seperate and that was like $30. So its mounted to my bonnet and the Bandspanner screws right onto it. Got it all from dicksmiths.

Last edited by JG-103 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

How do these glass mount ones work??
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

JG-103 wrote:I got the same one as you tom by the sound of it, the bracket cost i think $20 and i bought a coax cable and base thingy seperate and that was like $30. So its mounted to my bonnet and the Bandspanner screws right onto it. Got it all from dicksmiths. I can also give u a pic if need be.
I used to have boot clip mount ones and they're not so good. The screws rust badly which will cause your boot to rust! Get a proper L bracket mount and bolt it in.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Apparently AllCom has glass mount ones, i'm thinking of getting one for UHF CB, so I can connect my GME TX6000 up when i'm out and about in the car.

Sell for about $70 and you need to cut them to length and do the SWR yourself. Not a good idea for a scanner really, but a neat idea for my sitation (I already have a big amateur antenna on the rear of my car, I don't want to look like the ACMA driving around!)
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

On glass antennas usually have all sorts of gain figures listed on them .The truth is they are deaf as a post .Convenient but deaf. If you want the best of both worlds either use a windsheind demister kit to paint an antenna on the glass which can be removed easily later . You can buy terminals to fit the coax.These work well and are VERY discrete when it comes to her indoors.
OR glue the antenna mount bracket to the glass and fit a proper antenna to the bracket . These are easily remove at time of sale by heating the bracket before lifting off with a screw driver. This how I do it on my car ( SUBARU Liberty wagon on the right rear window with a 6.5db gain RFI ground independant antenna) has been on three cars now with a total of 300,000 km with no problems.
No affect on resale and discrete .
Feel free to pm for more details
yorky

Post by yorky »

I'm just digging my thread up here a year later :lol:

I've been again looking into this, and had another look at my boot area and there are screws under the sides that mount my spoiler on which I just purchased a Z bracket for, but unfortunately its slightly big and the folds of metal under the lid get in the way :( Plus with it just sitting in there its about half a mm to thick and the boot doesn't actually close (would be the same for an L bracket I would think) :|

I'm hoping to maybe get a longer screw or something though that would make it worse closing wise, any ideas there?

And with the antenna base's, how does the coax attach/go through the base exactly?

Also is there a thiner type of coax to fit through the boot lip into the boot? I've just shoved a normal size piece through the gap and tried to close the boot, and it doesn't close properly as its too thick?

:cry:
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

yorky wrote: Also is there a thiner type of coax to fit through the boot lip into the boot? I've just shoved a normal size piece through the gap and tried to close the boot, and it doesn't close properly as its too thick?
Hi Yorky.

I've never had problems with RG58 coax fitting. All it does is squish the rubber grommet in the boot a bit to let itself through when you close the boot.

If that's a problem, you could consider glass mount antennas (like mobile phones).
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
yorky

Post by yorky »

Well I took the plunge tonight and got to work with my trusty drill.

With the Z bracket that didn't reach the spoiler mount screw, I just got a couple of self tappers and made new holes that also go into the spoiler (which is hollow).

And I just jammed the coax through the lip and the rubber (the rubber area isn't a problem, its the lid and side thats the issue) and it fits fine after I slam it down :P

Now I just need to get the base+cable (looking at DSE D4051 base with cable with BNC end) and finally the bandspanner antenna.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

Nick wrote:On glass antennas usually have all sorts of gain figures listed on them .The truth is they are deaf as a post .Convenient but deaf.
sorry to bring up an old post. but just wanted to re affirm that statement. i have a ve ssv and have three window mount antennas (two at the back and one at the front corner). before you say - yes it looks like a cop car (apart from the ssv badging) - but i've got a scanner, cb and portable scanner that fit neatly into the car - so needed the antennas. i opted for the window mounts because of the 'discreet' look - but they are crap! great for police scanning but no good for cb chatter. works beaut if your stationary - but that falls short for car. so anyone thinking of window mounts - think again
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter