UBC396XT Firmware

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

OzPrepper
Scanners and Receivers: UBCD396XT and UBC355XLT

UBC396XT Firmware

Post by OzPrepper »

I did a quick search of the forums but couldn't see anyone asking this so thought I'd ask if there was ever firmware updates for the Australian version of the 396XT, the US version seems to of had quite a few updates.

All I could find online was a firmware update for compatibility with UBC RH96 remote head but it is not for the scanner it's self.

Cheers

Chris
yorky

Re: UBC396XT Firmware

Post by yorky »

Uniden Australia don't list any, they don't even supply the programming software like the non X model which is just silly. Obviously you can use FreeScan but it's like after sales support doesn't exist for such an expensive product.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
OzPrepper

Post by OzPrepper »

I agree Yorky, as you said for something so expensive you would think we would get firmware updates like the US counterpart.

I have emailed Uniden so will be interesting to see what they say.
rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

OzPrepper wrote:I agree Yorky, as you said for something so expensive you would think we would get firmware updates like the US counterpart.
Ever stop to think that no firmware updates have been issued because they are not needed?

What is wrong with the unit in terms of firmware that needs correcting or updating? By all means let me know I will pass it on to Uniden.

Just because the US version has an update doesn't mean we have one. They are for all intents and purposes two different products.

R
OzPrepper

Post by OzPrepper »

rustynswrail wrote:
OzPrepper wrote:I agree Yorky, as you said for something so expensive you would think we would get firmware updates like the US counterpart.
Ever stop to think that no firmware updates have been issued because they are not needed?

What is wrong with the unit in terms of firmware that needs correcting or updating? By all means let me know I will pass it on to Uniden.

Just because the US version has an update doesn't mean we have one. They are for all intents and purposes two different products.

R
I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with it I just would of thought that, like some products you buy there are bugs and tweaks that they think of fixing, adding or improving after it has been released.

Maybe it was made perfect right off the bat and doesn't need an update.
rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

OzPrepper wrote:
rustynswrail wrote:
R
I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with it I just would of thought that, like some products you buy there are bugs and tweaks that they think of fixing, adding or improving after it has been released.
Maybe it was made perfect right off the bat and doesn't need an update.
No one is suggesting it is perfect, nothing is. But most of the firmware updates apparent in the US are to do with changes in their 800 MHz trunking assignments and the move to 700 MHz by many public safety agencies. We obviously have not had the same changes therefore the lack of firmware updates.

At least one of the US firmware changes was to correct a previous update to do with the channel numbering in 700 MHz trunking.

If and when a firmware change is required, Uniden will release it on their website, of that you can be assured.

R
OzPrepper

Post by OzPrepper »

rustynswrail wrote: No one is suggesting it is perfect, nothing is. But most of the firmware updates apparent in the US are to do with changes in their 800 MHz trunking assignments and the move to 700 MHz by many public safety agencies. We obviously have not had the same changes therefore the lack of firmware updates.

At least one of the US firmware changes was to correct a previous update to do with the channel numbering in 700 MHz trunking.

If and when a firmware change is required, Uniden will release it on their website, of that you can be assured.

R
Thanks for the information, I am still getting used to all the latest technology of new scanners, I am still learning about what trunking is, 20 years ago I would just enter frequencies and away I would go.
rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

OzPrepper wrote:
rustynswrail wrote: No one is suggesting it is perfect, nothing is. But most of the firmware updates apparent in the US are to do with changes in their 800 MHz trunking assignments and the move to 700 MHz by many public safety agencies. We obviously have not had the same changes therefore the lack of firmware updates.
R
Thanks for the information, I am still getting used to all the latest technology of new scanners, I am still learning about what trunking is, 20 years ago I would just enter frequencies and away I would go.
If not now then very soon, basically everything you have learned about scanning will be redundant. The days of entering a frequency and away you would go are gone. Today when have multiple digital platforms to deal with not just P25, but DMR, NXDN/IDAS, P25 Phase II, GSM-R and TETRA to name but a few. While some of these modes will remain elusive others will become common place to the scanner user.

Without sounding rude or putting anyone down, it will be a case of keep up or give up if we as a hobby do not embrace and learn the new modes and the methods associated with them. Alas I have deviated off topic, here endeth the lesson.

R
OzPrepper

Post by OzPrepper »

rustynswrail wrote:If not now then very soon, basically everything you have learned about scanning will be redundant. The days of entering a frequency and away you would go are gone. Today when have multiple digital platforms to deal with not just P25, but DMR, NXDN/IDAS, P25 Phase II, GSM-R and TETRA to name but a few. While some of these modes will remain elusive others will become common place to the scanner user.

Without sounding rude or putting anyone down, it will be a case of keep up or give up if we as a hobby do not embrace and learn the new modes and the methods associated with them. Alas I have deviated off topic, here endeth the lesson.

R
Certainly seems to be heading that way, so far everything I have programmed in has been 'conventional' but I am sure it won't be too long before I will need to read up about what P25, MOT, EDCS and LT all mean with this 396XT.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

That, unfortunately, is the problem. The scanner's capabilities are set in stone.

The new digital modes (those that aren't encrypted, anyway) are receivable but not with a handheld scanner, but using a Software Defined Radio. An SDR is essentially a USB TV tuner and some clever software on your PC.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

vk6hgr wrote:That, unfortunately, is the problem. The scanner's capabilities are set in stone.
The new digital modes (those that aren't encrypted, anyway) are receivable but not with a handheld scanner, but using a Software Defined Radio. An SDR is essentially a USB TV tuner and some clever software on your PC.
The capabilities of the HQ Holden were also set in stone. But designers, over time developed new technologies and incorporated them into new models. Who would have thought that a car would effectively be a moving computer.

Before we condemn scanning to the scrap heap (encryption etc) lets wait and see what the future brings.

Now where did I leave the keys to the horse and buggy?

R