Scanner question

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

WestAusChris

Re: Scanner question

Post by WestAusChris »

bogged wrote:Are you sitting at a desk with computers or other devices near it
its in a small room with a desktop PC, TV, mobile phone, gaming console and computer tablet but on opposite sides of the room to the scanner.

I have tried scanning all frequencies and they all stop at certain frequencies and its just static, living in a semi rural town I thought i'd atleast pick up UHF, strange.

I have ordered a whip antenna that should arrive next week will put that on the roof/gutter and see if that makes any difference.
bogged
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC73XLT
Uniden UBCD396XT

Post by bogged »

Have you tryed going outside an trying it as it will get better reception than it being inside (iv noticed that computers have a lot of interference with scanners have you looked on http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/assig ... nge_search to see if there licensed to anyone also are you able to post up the freqs it stops on?
WestAusChris

Post by WestAusChris »

I just took it outside tonight, same issue as inside, will stop on frequencies and just be static.

Some of the ones it stops on are below just to name a few.

I also looked at the link you posted, Im not quite sure what that all means, Im guessing that is a list of frequencies that arre registered in my area that I should pick up where I am? If thats the case there is 185 show up.
bogged
Uniden UBCD396XT

Post by bogged »

Are you able to change between WFM To NFM thats if it is on wfm
WestAusChris

Post by WestAusChris »

bogged wrote:Are you able to change between WFM To NFM thats if it is on wfm
I had a look in the manual, I don't think I am able to change it, unless I am looking in the wrong place.
bogged
Uniden UBCD396XT

Post by bogged »

I just had a look then aswell i couldnt find
WestAusChris

Post by WestAusChris »

The whip antenna should arrive tomorrow, I will try that and see if it makes a difference.

If not it looks like I may have wasted money on this and need to go digital.
bogged
Uniden UBCD396XT

Post by bogged »

Theres no point going digital just yet only wapol an sja are really digital if you look through the link posted have a look at a frequency in your area an find ones with 10K1F3E, 16K0F3E or any with F3E at the end plug them in and see what happenes
WestAusChris

Post by WestAusChris »

Well finally some good news, I did as you mentioned bogged and programmed in 31 channels and got my first hit from Dept Parks and Wildlife - Land Mobile System - > 30MHz

That was with the little telescopic antenna plugged in the back so with the whip I should pick up more, will keep you posted and appreciate all the advice and help.
WestAusChris

Post by WestAusChris »

Well the whip antenna came, climbed on the roof and installed it and it works a treat.

Downside, found a different place to rent that is an apartment on the bottom floor so cant mount the antenna on the roof, hoping it will still work sitting it next to a window inside.
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

Can you suction -cup the whip to the outside of the window?
WASES CSU
WestAusChris

Post by WestAusChris »

I could certainly look into it, maybe a hardware store or similar might sell suction cups.

There is security screens on the windows so not sure if that will interfere with reception, once I have moved in which should be the end of the month I will have a better look and see what I can do.