What to get BCD436HP or UBCD396Xt

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

AustDaveWA
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCD396XT
Tait T2020
Motorola XTS5000, GP328
Baofeng GT-3
UBC92XLT
UBC245XLT
Kyodo KG208

What to get BCD436HP or UBCD396Xt

Post by AustDaveWA »

It time for an upgrade for my scanners. Havent been that happy with the Alinco DJ-X11, so I'm looking at replacing it. My previous two scanners were both Uniden, so I'm thinking about going back to Uniden.

There are two models that I'm looking at one (UBCD396XT) is currently for sale and available in Australia. However because I like something new I'm also looking at the BCD436HP, which is available either vie eBay or directly from the USA.

I have emailed Uniden Australia, and they cannot give a release date for the 436HP here in Australia.

What do people think about these two radios, and before anyone says anything yes I know that the USA Model has frequency blocks in it that the Australian version wouldn't have but since the 436HP isn't available in Aust I think I can handle the loss of some frequencies
if you need to ask, then you don't need to know
rustynswrail

Re: What to get BCD436HP or UBCD396Xt

Post by rustynswrail »

AustDaveWA wrote:It time for an upgrade for my scanners. Havent been that happy with the Alinco DJ-X11, so I'm looking at replacing it. My previous two scanners were both Uniden, so I'm thinking about going back to Uniden.
There are two models that I'm looking at one (UBCD396XT) is currently for sale and available in Australia. However because I like something new I'm also looking at the BCD436HP, which is available either vie eBay or directly from the USA.
I have emailed Uniden Australia, and they cannot give a release date for the 436HP here in Australia.
What do people think about these two radios, and before anyone says anything yes I know that the USA Model has frequency blocks in it that the Australian version wouldn't have but since the 436HP isn't available in Aust I think I can handle the loss of some frequencies
Point for point I would suggest the UBCD396XT. The 436 is good but does have a few problems, not least of which is setting it up for Australian conditions. Also there is only really one software package for the 436 (that being Butel). The 396 on the other hand can be programmed using several, one of which Freescan is as the name suggests if free. The others are Butel and bcTool.

I own and use both models, it is the 396 that goes with me before the 436.

Unless you have a need for a scanner that can receive Phase II P25 trunking and as far as I am aware you don't in WA, stick with the UBCD396XT.

R
AustDaveWA
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCD396XT
Tait T2020
Motorola XTS5000, GP328
Baofeng GT-3
UBC92XLT
UBC245XLT
Kyodo KG208

Re: What to get BCD436HP or UBCD396Xt

Post by AustDaveWA »

Thanks R, will look at getting the 396