Base Scanning Antennas Help

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

victor2121

Post by victor2121 »

Has anyone tried the SCANTENNA BASE or BANDSPANNER BASE Antennas
available from Mobile ONE ?
http://www.mobileone.com.au

Are they worth the extra money ? :?:
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Doesn't really answer your question (sorry!) but I've got the Scantenna and I'm very happy with that. I've used it mounted on a car and got a pretty good reception with it.

In general I'd say you can't go too far wrong with a MobileOne antenna, they seem pretty well made.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
scottwa2468

Post by scottwa2468 »

what about the antennas at dse?
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Re: Base Scanning Antennas Help

Post by meg »

scottwa2468 wrote:what about the antennas at dse?
DSE were stocking a number of MobileOne antennas when I was in there yesterday :)
victor2121

Thanks

Post by victor2121 »

Thanks for the Advice

:)
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Z, what scanner do you have? Is the scantenna a screw in antenna?
Victor which one did you buy?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

JG,

I've got the Scantenna It's a screw-on type which was mounted on the back of my car. Was a good all-round antenna for the scanner.

The Scantenna Base is slightly different, but more or less the same idea. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Base version is a ground-independent antenna and the regular Scantenna isn't.

It is very dark.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

So can you screw it straight into your antenna
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Sorry, i mean can you screw it straight into your scanner? I hav got a UBC 57xlt and want to get a better antenna and i was thinking of gettin the bandspanner but the scantenna is cheaper and sounds pretty good from what your saying, i need to know if it will be able to screw into my antenna like my stock. Thanks
JG103
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

My bad :lol: i just found extra info and they are both for the car, spewin! So how did you mount it to your car and connect it all up to your scanner?
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Go the Bandspanner antenna from DSE! :)
I've found it the best by far in all situations.. I mainly use it at home connected to my scanner by 2m of coaxial cable, I just prop the antenna high up indoors and havent mounted anywhere and it still picks up all the channels :)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

JG-103 wrote:My bad :lol: i just found extra info and they are both for the car, spewin! So how did you mount it to your car and connect it all up to your scanner?
OK the scanner was a Uniden UBC3000XLT with the normal BNC type connector for the antenna.

I bought a base with lead kit and attached the base to the outside of the car and ran the lead inside the car to the centre console where the scanner sat. To get an idea what I mean, go to the Dick Smith Electronics website and look up part number D4050. That's the base, with the lead already attached. The plug's the wrong type on the end so I chopped that off and put the right one on.

The car was an EA Falcon so I didn't mind drilling holes into the bodywork of the car to mount the base. My new car though isn't going to have any mistreatment like that, so any antennas will be put on brackets...
Last edited by Zebedee on Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

It is very dark.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

My only problem is that i dont have a BNC plug, i only have a screw in type! JG103 :P
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Hey Radiohead, do you have your bandspanner mounted to your car?

Just a follow up, iv been to Dick Smith bought some kind of jack, any way, the reason i bought it is because it screws into my antenna jack. Yes i took my scanner in the store and was trying to screw in all types of adaptors, any way, this thing cost me 50c so i bought three, i also bought a BNC plug, the female? any way, the one that the antenna goes into, im going to ask craig kinkdly if he could solder the 50c jack to the BNC plug, then i can screw it into my scanner and hey presto, i have a BNC compatible scanner, so then ill be able to buy a Bandspanner or Scantenna antenna and a base and plug it in, and when i go to the shops and want to listen to my scanner, ill just unscrew my special adaptor and put in my normal antenna :D Once it is done, ill post up some pics of it and what the bits i used so other people who dont have a BNC type scanner can do the same.
JG103 :P