Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting

Talk about special events such as the Skyworks, Royal Show, Rally Australia, Avon Descent, etc.
Fitzyyy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden Bearcat ubcd396xt

Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting

Post by Fitzyyy »

Anyone know of any frequencies that might be in use during the event or if the coppers will revert back to digital (non encrypted) to compensate for the non compatable radios??
Bonez

Re: Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting

Post by Bonez »

I've got a feeling there'll be a lot of digital stuff in use, but it will certainly be interesting to hear the things that we still CAN hear.

FESA, local councils, security companies... water police.. I'm sure there'll be quite a bit of activity. As for frequencies though, who knows at this point in time..
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Not to mention sites such as ours will or is already being monitored by various agencies in order to maintain Security for this event.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

Not sure how true it is, but I have heard that Scrambling equipment will be in use so that members of the public cannot use mobile phones near the city centre. Anyone else have any more info on this?
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

6stbase wrote:Not sure how true it is, but I have heard that Scrambling equipment will be in use so that members of the public cannot use mobile phones near the city centre. Anyone else have any more info on this?
I have also heard this, it's an anti-terrorism technique.
The primary reason is not to prevent people communicating by mobile phone, but to prevent the mobile phones from being used to trigger detonators.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Wow that would make many many people angry, two of my Aunts live in the city and rely heavily on mobile phones for communication.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
yorky

Post by yorky »

$5 says all the public that (after reading that article at least) work/live in Perth will be, how do I put this delicately, pissed.

Surely the zillions used for this little event could be used on a video conference instead.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

meh....I was in Canberra when George W Bush came to visit. Lesson number 1 in how to * 400,000 odd people off. Fly fighters over the city from 3am non stop, close the main trunk route used by all the buses and half the residents for most of the morning, cause havoc at the airport on a sitting day, act like you own the place and imply the AFP isn't up to the job, etc etc etc.

Anyway... I don't envy anyone over there right now. CHOGM or G20 or any of those things are a right pain for the people who actually live in the places.
HL 101

Post by HL 101 »

I don’t know much about the jamming of the signals of mobiles but in a worse case that could happen and you needed to call 000 for an emergency in the city area would that call be connected just a tad confused with it all.
yorky

Post by yorky »

That could be part of the undisclosed technology. Imagine someone having a heart attack and they cannot call 000 because they are away from a landline? Would be madness.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

yorky wrote:That could be part of the undisclosed technology. Imagine someone having a heart attack and they cannot call 000 because they are away from a landline? Would be madness.
I think there would be so many Police Officers and other Authorities around you would not need to call triple 0.

Anywhere except Perth would be the best place to be while CHOGM is underway.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

I would imagine it would be call specific. so youd still be able to ring certin numbers (000 or 131 444 ect), and band specific too, so police/fire brigade/ambulance ect. would still be able to use their phones/radios/dispatch computers and AVL wich all use mobile phone inferstucture to operate
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

I hear they are going to be closing heaps of roads in the CBD... Will the trains still be running over the weekend this is being held on or will all forms of public transport be useless during the event?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

doggie015 wrote:I hear they are going to be closing heaps of roads in the CBD... Will the trains still be running over the weekend this is being held on or will all forms of public transport be useless during the event?
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/CHOGM2011.aspx

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.