skyworks 2010

Talk about special events such as the Skyworks, Royal Show, Rally Australia, Avon Descent, etc.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: skyworks 2010

Post by written_ficton »

richard omeara wrote:Any one know if there is going to be a dump & burn from the F111.Or at least a fly over?
We don't operate those PIGS anymore, hence No Dump and Burns

Sad..
I've closed the door!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Sounds fair, sounds like WA Police should just go unencrypted then eh eh :wink: :wink: [-o<

So how were the crowds? Was there a last minute rush from the no-one-is-here-yet to 8PM?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Thanks for the info Merlo.Its been a very interesting night.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

written_ficton wrote:We don't operate those PIGS anymore, hence No Dump and Burns

Sad..
When did they get rid of the pigs??? I know they tossed the caribous recently, but wasn't aware they had gotten rid of the pigs???
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I didn't think they'd gotten rid of them just yet, I seem to recall them going...goes searching in Defence email updates...
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Department of Defence Media release wrote: Department of Defence Media Mail List
------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEFENCE MEDIA ALERT

MSPA 427/09

Wednesday, 9 December 2009

F-111 FLYPAST TO MARK AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE
FORCE ACADEMY GRADUATION PARADE

WHAT: Flypast by an F-111 strike aircraft during the Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA) Graduation Parade.

WHERE: ADFA, Northcott Drive, Canberra ACT.

WHEN: 10:20am Thursday, 10 December 2009.

Background:
An F-111 strike aircraft from Number 6 Squadron, will fly over the Australian Defence Force Academy on Thursday, 10 December 2009, as young graduating officers from Navy, Army and Air Force participate in their final Academy parade before continuing on the next stage of their military careers.

The aircraft will approach ADFA from the east at a height of 500 feet, and will pass over the Graduation Parade at 10:20am, local time.

F-111s will be retired from the Royal Australian Air Force in December 2010 when their replacement – the F/A-18F Super Hornet – becomes operational.

Contact information removed

Media Releases are available via e-mail if you register at www.defence.gov.au/media
So no they're not out of service yet, they are planned to come out of service though at the end of this year.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Rumours that they will be going quicker than December 2010. Last chance you may see them in action is the Singapore Air Show.

Anyway... ADF doesnt like doing the dump and burns it really craps on the airframe!
I've closed the door!
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Rumours are just that, rumours. Until I hear anything different from defence media releases the F-111's will be phased out in December. There are plenty of occasions when life of equipment is extended. Likewise shortened. As for what it does to the aircraft I can't comment as I don't know.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Nafenn and I caught up with slipknot VK6NAH on the foreshore, we were parked more or less opposite the Concert Hall on Perth side...

Scanned around a bit on 2m / 70cm but things were a bit quiet :)

Did notice Gav's IGate calling itself AX6HGR when I looked up some APRS stuff - awesome ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Tyranus wrote:
Department of Defence Media release wrote: Department of Defence Media Mail List
------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEFENCE MEDIA ALERT

MSPA 427/09

Wednesday, 9 December 2009

F-111 FLYPAST TO MARK AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE
FORCE ACADEMY GRADUATION PARADE

WHAT: Flypast by an F-111 strike aircraft during the Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA) Graduation Parade.

WHERE: ADFA, Northcott Drive, Canberra ACT.

WHEN: 10:20am Thursday, 10 December 2009.

Background:
An F-111 strike aircraft from Number 6 Squadron, will fly over the Australian Defence Force Academy on Thursday, 10 December 2009, as young graduating officers from Navy, Army and Air Force participate in their final Academy parade before continuing on the next stage of their military careers.

The aircraft will approach ADFA from the east at a height of 500 feet, and will pass over the Graduation Parade at 10:20am, local time.

F-111s will be retired from the Royal Australian Air Force in December 2010 when their replacement – the F/A-18F Super Hornet – becomes operational.

Contact information removed

Media Releases are available via e-mail if you register at http://www.defence.gov.au/media
So no they're not out of service yet, they are planned to come out of service though at the end of this year.
There is only 5 left, they will all be gone in March, when the first F/A-18 arrives

By the way Nathan, your sky writing friend, did a back to front P in Perth, and forgot the H
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Only 5 left??? Your source?
http://www.superhornet.com.au wrote: Twenty Four F/A-18F Super Hornet aircraft will replace the F-111 fleet which has played a key role in Australia's defence since 1973. Until the staged arrival of the Super Hornets starts in March/April 2010, the F-111 remains a significant component of Australia's air combat capability.
This too me would suggest that until some of the 24 aircraft start to arrive in March/April Australia would still have more than 5 aircraft which I will point out on the air force website it says:
http://www.airforce.gov.au/aircraft/f111.aspx wrote:With numerous airframe, engine, weapons and avionics upgrades, the F-111 remains the fastest and longest ranging combat aircraft in the Asia-Pacific.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

A Raaf freind of mine that lives in the eastern states