Red Bull Race, who is going

Talk about special events such as the Skyworks, Royal Show, Rally Australia, Avon Descent, etc.
RAMBO

Red Bull Race, who is going

Post by RAMBO »

who is going to the Red Bull Race this year,,after reading posts from last year,seems north side was best to be in terms of less crowd, i was on south side early and people just rudely stood in front of us till they were abused by all who got early spots, im thinking of taking some alum scaffold, few light weight planks and sit up on that, the best day is sunday,, but its too slow and drawn out..
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Last year's weather put me off, I turned into a beetroot
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

I really wanted to go last year and take the kids but ended up watching it on telly. Im glad I didnt go because the weeks of anticipation and excitement fizzled out after the first lap. It needs some spectacular crashes or something to make it a bit more interesting.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Toottoot wrote:I really wanted to go last year and take the kids but ended up watching it on telly. Im glad I didnt go because the weeks of anticipation and excitement fizzled out after the first lap. It needs some spectacular crashes or something to make it a bit more interesting.
a bit like F1,
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

So no, i will probably mow the lawn instead.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Red Bull Race, who is going

Post by Zebedee »

RAMBO wrote:who is going to the Red Bull Race this year,,after reading posts from last year,seems north side was best to be in terms of less crowd, i was on south side early and people just rudely stood in front of us till they were abused by all who got early spots, im thinking of taking some alum scaffold, few light weight planks and sit up on that, the best day is sunday,, but its too slow and drawn out..
I'll probably go again, enjoyed it last year.

Saw the crowds on the southern foreshore from my vantage point on the northern side. I'm not a huge fan of crowds so I think I'll stay north again this year. I was alongside Langley Park where the planes take off from and land, so that was something a bit different to watch.

Unfortunately the viewing of the actual race isn't as good as it is from the southern side...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Hopefully I will make the trip down for this, didnt go last year due to work. Maybe we can have a WARSUG get together!

What is the best vantage point on the north side and can you get close to view the aircraft at Langley Park?

8)
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

i was there for work last year right at the take off and landing point so hopefully will be there year
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

I will be in the corporate grandstand. Free vodka/redbulls =].

Just to let you all know, the first of the planes are due to arrive late this week where they will be taken to our warehouse and housed there until they are all cleared for entry by Australian Customs and AQIS (Quarantine). i can arrange to get some behind the scenes pictures if anyone is interested?
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

I was planning to go... but unfortunately I'll be sunning on a beach in Phuket that weekend 8) :D

Donks, I reckon you might need a hand in that corporate box. I'm sure there are plenty of WARSUG'ers that would help you out with the Red Bulls :wink:
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Not a bad view from the air if your a pilot that day :twisted:

Look out for VH-YNB (DA-20 Diamond Eclipse) - ariel display - need I say more ;)

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Rockjet wrote:Hopefully I will make the trip down for this, didnt go last year due to work. Maybe we can have a WARSUG get together!

What is the best vantage point on the north side and can you get close to view the aircraft at Langley Park?
I'm happy to catch up with any other WARSUG'ers over the weekend. Not 100% sure yet but I'm guessing I'll be alongside Langley Park somewhere-ish again this year as I thought it was a good spot to watch from. I certainly didn't fancy the crowds I saw on the southern foreshore :)

To give you an idea, here's a pic I took from standing between Langley Park and the river, looking over the water to one of the inflatable gates:

And turning around to look at Langley Park itself when one of the planes was showing off on take-off :)

With a bit of creativity and a half decent lens on your camera, here's the sort of shot you can get from standing along the cyclone fence around Langley Park:

Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

How about some frequencies for Red Bull Air Race ???

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have people to post them up here....
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

I'll prob be on the water for this one.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

watched it on tv last year.. might do the same this time.
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter