RED BULL AIR RACE Reviews

Talk about special events such as the Skyworks, Royal Show, Rally Australia, Avon Descent, etc.

How was the red bull air race ?

great, will go again
41%
good, may go again
9%
good, would not bother going again
No votes
to crowded, will stay at home and watch on TV
25%
average, over rated
9%
waste of time
16%

Total votes: 32

fly_on_the_wall

RED BULL AIR RACE Reviews

Post by fly_on_the_wall »

after members opinions on the event.

i personally thought it was not that great. to crowded and not long enough.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Wasn't too bad, got very boring very fast. The before and after shows were way way better. I didn't bother bringing my scanner as I don't have a battery, although I was in a forth story apartment with a 100% view of the course.

I may go again next year, but very very packed from what I saw + the traffic was a usual nightmare. I got there about 9:30 and we had people that wanted to come after that, give up because they couldn't park.

Best thing was the ending F/A-18's and other loud things :P
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

I ended up going to the Air race with family and friends. We sat on the northside of the river near the rowing club. We ened up leaving before the race started because we had people push in front of us blocking our view. This annoyed me lots as we did the right thing by not blocking the path to allow people to walk through and have a clear path. Then to have late comers see the clear path and stand in front of all those who got there nice and early. They wonder why people get violent at events like this and the sky show and to me thats part of the reason. If people had blocked the paths earlier we would have been asked to move then to have people arrive later to still the pathway that we had to keep clear.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Any ideas on the police activity? NC616 arrived same time as me, saw 3 mike bikes, AV202 I think and countless others. Didn't see any issues from my point all seemed calm.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

4yr old kid got kicked by a police horse
guy jumped off boat ended up with neck injuries
wizzard

Post by wizzard »

yorky wrote:Any ideas on the police activity? NC616 arrived same time as me, saw 3 mike bikes, AV202 I think and countless others. Didn't see any issues from my point all seemed calm.
lots of cops around but little in the arrest side of things from what i heard

and there were a few injuries, VFAS treated just under 200 for the day
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Donga wrote:I ended up going to the Air race with family and friends. We sat on the northside of the river near the rowing club. We ened up leaving before the race started because we had people push in front of us blocking our view. This annoyed me lots as we did the right thing by not blocking the path to allow people to walk through and have a clear path. Then to have late comers see the clear path and stand in front of all those who got there nice and early. They wonder why people get violent at events like this and the sky show and to me thats part of the reason. If people had blocked the paths earlier we would have been asked to move then to have people arrive later to still the pathway that we had to keep clear.
I agree with you there, Donga. Thats the reason why we no longer go to Skyworks. You make the effort to get there early with family in tow, often hours before the event and to avoid the traffic like the media/promoters recommend, and then it gets ruined by people who do that. Unfortunately I missed the air race ( :roll: long story) but glad I did seeing/hearing the media reports of the traffic chaos. Am glad though the event is in Perth - despite the cloud cover the skyline looked pretty impressive to show the rest of the world :P
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I thought it was great :)

Drove to work in East Perth and parked in the basement carpark, so no parking hassles for me! Walked down Plain Street to have a look at the Langley Park airstrip and take a few pics. The original plan was to then catch the ferry over to South Perth while it was still running, but looking across the water, all I could see was a wall of people so I decided to stay put on the city side...

We ended up about in the middle of Langley Park, between Riverside Drive and the water - approximately level with the control tower for the people on the other side of the river. It was great - not too crowded, managed to find a shady spot under a palm tree and have a sit down.

Heard from one of my brother's mates that over on the south side everyone was shoulder-to-shoulder and most people didn't have a very good view at all. Not my cup of tea...

The race was obviously a bit further away for us than it would have been for people on the south side, and we didn't have the benefit of any big video screens or commentary or anything like that, but to just stand and watch, it was pretty good anyway - I'd take space to move around over video screens any day.

One downside was the price of food (as always)... Kebab Co were charging ten dollars for a basic doner kebab with meat, lettuce, tomato and cheese. Eek! And because of licencing issues with Red Bull, if you wanted to buy a drink you had to queue up again somewhere else for that...

Ended up getting the obligatory sunburn like everyone else. I can never seem to get the hang of taking photos and not having a hat get in the way, so I was hatless and sunscreenless for the day - and it shows :) :oops:

When I didn't have my 2 year old nephew on my shoulders, I took about 800-ish photos. Now comes the hard part of going through them all and working out which ones are OK and which ones are crap!

Will catch up with the channel 10 broadcast sometime soon too, so I can see what I missed out on seeing on the video screens.

Definitely going again next year.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

After speaking to the many people at work today who went, it seems the general consensus was that it wasn't as packed on the city side (like Doug said) as the south side... Opinions, people?
West Coast Eagles
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

now that it has been going for a few years i think that it is to similar each time so in my opinion i think for it to stay successful they need to do something different.
jasonjag
Banned

Packed

Post by jasonjag »

Chicky wrote:After speaking to the many people at work today who went, it seems the general consensus was that it wasn't as packed on the city side (like Doug said) as the south side... Opinions, people?
I started off at the easten end of the air strip and fore shore and was few people, so to speak far from crowded, ,,i went around to the west end of the air strip around 2pm and it was like australia day,,Packed,,,people everywhere, although most of the display is aimed at the south side of the river, I saw all i wanted to see from the east end,,next RBAR is May 2010 and reason the tourism and state gov have allocated Langley pk for a huge no of other events from Aug to Mar, which includes tearing half of it up ,,so hence the RBAR will be held after all those events in late May 2010. that was the reason from an official at the control tower. jj
jasonjag
Banned

I agree there Scottus,

Post by jasonjag »

Scottus wrote:now that it has been going for a few years i think that it is to similar each time so in my opinion i think for it to stay successful they need to do something different.
I agree there Scottus, like more F18 and A380 fly by's and get rid of the old war birds, so slow and un interesting,
yorky

Post by yorky »

Be aware that Scottus dug this thread up, from two years ago's event.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Scottus

Re: I agree there Scottus,

Post by Scottus »

jasonjag wrote:
Scottus wrote:now that it has been going for a few years i think that it is to similar each time so in my opinion i think for it to stay successful they need to do something different.
I agree there Scottus, like more F18 and A380 fly by's and get rid of the old war birds, so slow and un interesting,
yeah and at better times this year they are at the start of the day, i would rather at the end you would think there would be more people around
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

yorky wrote:Be aware that Scottus dug this thread up, from two years ago's event.
Lol.... Thanks for that yorky. I had a momentary lapse for a bit there, then realised what date the last post was!!!!! So glad it's not the dementia kickin' in early! :wink:
West Coast Eagles
R/Up 1991 & 2005