New to scanning - antenna help??

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

efwgn

New to scanning - antenna help??

Post by efwgn »

Evening all. I've been signed up here for a couple weeks just getting a few tips and pointers about the whole scanning thing. Turns out my old man had a scanner in his shed not being used. An old Realistic PRO-2021. Works well. Gets me started!!

I've programmed in all the WAPOL frequencies as supplied by you guys (thanks). As of last night Channel 2 (467.875MHz) has been coming through really bad. I'm only using the telescopic antenna that came with it. Before I spend some $$ and kit myself out with a better antenna would anyone have suggestions as to why Ch2 is receiving so poorly? It has been my best channel for the last 2 weeks. From my understanding, cloud cover e.t.c. is generally better for radios.

Thanks again for the insight

Matt
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Is channel 8 any better? Weather can effect the signal but not by a lot I wouldnt imagine.
efwgn

Post by efwgn »

Turbo wrote:Is channel 8 any better? Weather can effect the signal but not by a lot I wouldnt imagine.
Thanks Turbo. Yeah Ch8 is coming through nicely. Also getting Ch12 clearly.
I'll see if physically changing location is any better. That may help rule out any problem with the scanner.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

When i moved house, i went from recieving channel 16 really good to shite, so now i listen to channel 12, same channel, just picking it up better. Another thing, i can pick up southside clear in the house other than in my room, so location does play a key role on reception.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

JG-103 wrote:When i moved house, i went from recieving channel 16 really good to shite, so now i listen to channel 12, same channel, just picking it up better. Another thing, i can pick up southside clear in the house other than in my room, so location does play a key role on reception.
One word: Antenna. If you can, seriously consider installing an outdoor antenna. From most suburbs you should get at least one channel from each metro district clearly. (and perhaps one or two country channels)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
efwgn

Post by efwgn »

Found another post talking about similar experiance
http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?t=1339
Looks like it's not just me.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

im out near armadale and with an outdoor antenna i can hear joondalup channel pretty clear
efwgn

Post by efwgn »

I've taken your advice and run an outside antenna. Picks up heaps more now. As for Ch2, its perfect reception using the outside antenna. The telescopic does not get anything at all on Ch2