Renagade Tank???

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Renagade Tank???

Post by Jared »

I was at work last night and only got to see the very end credits of the news where they were showing pictures of a tank driving the streets with police behind it?????? :shock:

Can someone fill me in on what happened?? (Unless there is already a thread for it?)
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Yeah I caught the end as well looked like a Sherman Tank with the star on the side, didnt that happen in Perth a few years ago?
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Yep, APC stolen from Swanbourne barracks in the early hours of the morning, driven through the city being chased slowly by WAPOL and ended up at East Perth police headquarters. I was in the city working that morning and saw it. Very odd sight.
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

It wouldnt have been armed in any way would it (the apc)?
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

the one in sydney wasnt id be interested to see exactley what damage he did to the 4 mobile phone towers if it was just superficial damage or brought them down.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Awww, funny. What a way to escape.... I spose it would be fun to drive it.... kinda.... :?
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

The one from Sydney was a restored collectors piece, weapons inoperative. The one in Perth, the APC was stolen from Karrakatta, when the light horse regiment was there, guns were mounted with no firing pins or ammo. Can't happen again, all the APC's are eastern states based.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

Bungarra wrote:The one from Sydney was a restored collectors piece, weapons inoperative. The one in Perth, the APC was stolen from Karrakatta, when the light horse regiment was there, guns were mounted with no firing pins or ammo. Can't happen again, all the APC's are eastern states based.
I think you will find it was stolen from Swanbourne. The guy broke into the SAS barracks and went on a rampage with it. Isn't there info about it somewhere else on here?

I could be wrong, but are you referring to the incident posted here:
http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2769&start=15
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

No was indeed stolen from Karrakatta, 10th Light Horse. They had to wake the Governor in the wee hours to authorise the use of another APC to take it on. Fortunatley WAPOL (79 Division and TRG) managed to get on board and apprehend the nutter before the other APC got rolling.

Someways it was a pity because it would have been pretty interesting to see two APC's going head to head in the city......
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

CHEV4EVR wrote: Someways it was a pity because it would have been pretty interesting to see two APC's going head to head in the city......
.50 and .30 cal weapons and ammo. Would make an interesting stop. He was fortunate WAPOL noticed the lid not locked down.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

Cool. I stand corrected :)
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

On a different note i saw on the news the other night the army will be disposing of some tanks (all rendered useless though) haha i wonder how much.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

I was going to say, the sydney one looked a little "my tiny tots army collection" style with the flash metallic paint and white star