Quansheng TG-25AT

A section for forum members to post reviews of equipment they own or have owned.

Moderator: Nafenn

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Quansheng TG-25AT

Post by meg »

Review of the Quansheng TG-25AT

The Quansheng TG-25AT is one of several handheld amateur radios made in China and sold cheaply via eBay and their Australian distributor Hamshack. Presumably others are selling them too, but these are the places I've seen them.

This radio is available in two models - the 25AT for 2 meters, and the 45AT for 70 cm. As a newcomer to Amateur Radio, I was looking for a unit which would allow me to try the hobby out without breaking the bank - for $99, the TG-25AT fit the bill perfectly and so I purchased a unit from Hamshack.

The specs on this radio are:
* Output power - selectable 5 watts or 1 watt
* Frequency (TX and RX) - 144-148mhz
* Number of channels - 99
The radio comes with a recharging cradle, ducky antenna, battery and belt clip, I also purchased a separate speaker/mic for an additional $12.

While waiting for my Foundation license to be processed, I spent many hours (over several weeks) listening to the local repeaters from my home and work locations, as well as in the car. With an unobstructed view of the repeaters (ranging from 20-30kms distant) from my workplace, the Quansheng picked them up very clearly using the included ducky antenna, though (unsurprisingly) when working from inside a car (with no external antenna) or at my house (which has a section of the Darling Range in the way of the repeaters), the reception had alot of static, though was readable.

Finally my license arrived, and within minutes I was on the airwaves from my work location, speaking to another amateur via repeater. He returned me a very good signal report which showed how well this little unit works when there is good line of sight.

There are three operating modes on this radio, VFO mode, channel mode and a third mode in which both channel number (if programmed) and frequency are displayed. This is useful for checking you have set offsets for a repeater correctly. There is also a fairly annoying "voice feature" which will tell you which mode you are in or keys you have pressed, useful when first learning how to operate the radio, but fortunately it is easily turned off. There isn't a squelch dial on the unit, though there is a function to open the squelch fully.

The housing of the radio is surprisingly tough, and this unit has had a couple of falls onto slate tiled floors, as well as several drops onto gravel without showing any scratches at this stage. It's also survived being carted around in my laptop bag to work most days.

So what are the major drawbacks to this unit? Like several of the lower end of the more expensive brands, it is single band only and doesn't have extended RX either. On top of that, the manual is poorly translated to English, and doesn't mention many of the functions available on the unit. Fortunately the Tamworth Radio Club have written up some further instructions on using the unit, and this file is a must-have for anyone purchasing this radio. Even so, it helps to wear a Dr Seuss hat when programming the unit.

As a basic, starter radio for someone getting into the hobby, I've been very happy with it and imagine it would suit others in that category well. It's probably also a good purchase for anyone looking for an inexpensive unit to take somewhere they don't wish to take a more expensive model, but still be able to get on the air. In the spirit of public emergency use, it's also small enough that you may consider having one permanently in the glove box of the car, or your work bag in case you should have a need for communications in a situation where phones may be unavailable.

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Quansheng TG-25AT

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:As a basic, starter radio for someone getting into the hobby, I've been very happy with it and imagine it would suit others in that category well. It's probably also a good purchase for anyone looking for an inexpensive unit to take somewhere they don't wish to take a more expensive model, but still be able to get on the air.
Yep, that's always been my thought on both counts. Sometimes you don't want to take an expensive radio somewhere, but still want the convenience of getting on air.

One other thing I found with the radio that's a little bit of a "negative" is that the keypad doesn't do DTMF tones. But hey, we need to remember that this is a sub-$100 radio and it's not going to have every feature imaginable...

But if they ever come out with a "version 2", I'd like to see them lose the voice prompts and gain DTMF - that'd be my wishlist :P But even so, it's still a good little radio :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Zebedee wrote:One other thing I found with the radio that's a little bit of a "negative" is that the keypad doesn't do DTMF tones. But hey, we need to remember that this is a sub-$100 radio and it's not going to have every feature imaginable...
A good point and one that I didn't think to include in my review.

I guess the other thing that I'd say is that (in my case), I don't think a handheld is likely to be my main radio. I'm happy to have a smaller feature set and lower cost on a unit that I don't use as much, and spend the cash for the extra bells and whistles on a base or mobile unit. Each person is going to have different usage needs though!

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

Zebedee wrote: One other thing I found with the radio that's a little bit of a "negative" is that the keypad doesn't do DTMF tones. But hey, we need to remember that this is a sub-$100 radio and it's not going to have every feature imaginable...
May be we can try whistling the DTMF like this guy ... :-"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joybubbles
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

I doubt he was whistling DTMF. Perfect pitch is one thing, two tones at perfect pitch is a whole other thing.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

I was thinking that he was whistling one pitch while humming another pitch ... which is possible ...
ArensTim
Scanners and Receivers: motorola

Post by ArensTim »

Nosferatu wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 pm I was thinking that he was whistling one pitch while humming another pitch ... which is possible ...
At the same time?