Warwick Grove Shopping Centre Evacuated

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Warwick Grove Shopping Centre Evacuated

Post by Donga »

Today I was at Warwick Grove Shopping Centre around 12:15pm and was in Kmart when the fire alarm went off. They had evacuated the whole shopping complex. Did anyone hear anything on the scanner in regards why all of the shopping centre was evacuated? I was suprised to see tho during the evacuation people more worried about moving there vehicles then the safety of others. I wittnessed many near misses as people were moving there vehicles out of the shopping centre complex insead of staying put and follwing instructiongs given over the pa system.
jbyway

Post by jbyway »

I was actually right there when they started the evacuation.

The walkway in front of the surf shop in between Coles and Woolies was shut down just as I was about to walk through. I watched for a few mins while the security guards did an absolute terrible job in stopping people coming through. They were hanging around the bin. I immediately thought bomb scare/suspicious package. Anyway. I walked around and then heard the fire alarm. I went out the exit next to Angus & Robertson and waited. I could quite clearly see in when a motorbike cop rocked up walked in. Went to the bin and pulled out a handbag. As I suspected it was just a bag that must have been stolen and dumped. The cop took all of 2 minutes to clear it up and then left. After that we all got to go in.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I know that we live in a heightened society but you seriously can't tell me the security guards couldn't have done a better job.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

and im pretty sure u would be aware that we take every suspicious matter seriously especially unexplained pakages appearing in bins :evil:
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

jbyway wrote:I know that we live in a heightened society but you seriously can't tell me the security guards couldn't have done a better job.
We don't know what rules the security guards are under. Their employer may require them to evacuate the centre first, and not put themselves or members of the public in danger (no matter how small that danger, real or perceived might be).

I don't think the response can be called "pathetic" until the whole story is known...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Zebedee wrote:I don't think the response can be called "pathetic" until the whole story is known...
Further to that, you don't know what phone calls were made, someone might have made a threat or something like that.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!