Sneak peak at Mk VI Merc

Pictures of emergency service vehicles, radio equipment etc
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Fireops: Curious if you decommision the mercs for sja ? and if so im assuming with the new vans n new deck out all the old gear is heading to the tip, if other sub centres dont buy a ex metro merc.
FireOps

Post by FireOps »

A lot of the older Mercs, as you said, are purchased or handed down to volunteer/country depots where they pretty much spend the remainder of their lives being passed on from bigger depot to smaller depot til they are retired for good.

The remainder are usually kept for industrial copntracts by SJA, sold at auction either to an end user or another company (such as ourselves) that use them as rentals, or occasionally they are stripped down and sold at auction as a basic commercial vehicle.

Usually, once an Ambulance has been an Ambulance, it'll stay that way til it's time for the grave. Ex on-road Ambulances usually end up on industrial contracts (not just mining).

The only ones that are commonly stripped down and sold are the PTVs as the modifications to these vehicles are relatively minimal.
Strength in Reliability
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Oh true, ive seen a few PTV's go through the auctions but havent seen any emerg ones yet. I did notice the other day that a private mob have an ex sja merc using it for patient transfers i was surprised they managed to buy it as is though.
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Oxyviva Robert Shaw Head Vs BVM

Post by Ambul8 »

Kyle wrote:Just quick question regarding the new Vans. Are they still using the Positive Pressure Resuscitation Device or are they fitting BVM to the Ambulances.

I have heard from a mate that Bag Valve Mask Devices are becoming standard stock on SJA ambulances. For Two reason reduced over inflation, are portable and don't require a oxygen cylinder.

Any one from SJA know about this or if its true..

If you a Ambulance Officer, Paramedic or VAO I like to know what you prefer. Just interesting as Im doing studies in the area of pre-hospital care and it great to know what people in the field think about them?
BVM by far:

* Cant do IPPV with demand head
* Massive risk of tidal volume+++ > inflation of stomach and aspiration of gatric contents > compromised airway (or indeed further complicatiosn down the track post resus phase)
* Cannot (well technically can, but cliically you very much shoudnt) attach demand head to ETT/LMA/Combitube
* Cannot feel for the obstructed airway as in the asthmatic Pt
* BVM allows you to build pressure behind an obstruction and try to push some air into the lungs, where as a demand head just tends to blow the obstruction to a point where nothing will work
* at least you can use BVW in isolation of viva and still give 21% inspired 02 which you definatly cannot do with the demand head. If you are rally stuck

Mind you, the demand head is great if you can use it properly, which from some people I have seen seems to be a difficult task - LOL - 2 ventilations and its time to change the cylinder.

BVM by far the choice for me.
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage